Question Best mid-tower ATX case for 8 - 10 HDD?

balamindin

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
Hello all,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I've turned my old PC into a media server and added 2 x 3.5" HDD. This is in addition to the 3 x SSD that were already there -- took a little doing but got there in the end -- but this is it. I fear I've stretched it as far as I can. In the near future I can see myself adding more (4 - 6) 3.5" drives so I need a new case but I don't know which one to go for.

Budget is £160 and I'd like a mid-tower that can accommodate ATX motherboard and an ATX PSU. My GPU length is 288 mm. I'd like one that would have 8 x 3.5" drive bays (and 2 - 3 drive bays for my SSD).
NO RBG would be a plus.

The two cases I've seen so far are Fractal Design Define R5 and 7 but I don't like their front panels -- they'd be completing blocking the fans (except for those tiny vents on the sides). I don't care about the noise as this thing isn't gonna be in the bedroom but good airflow is a must.

Based on all that I've said, are there any other cases you'd recommend?

Thank you for reading.

balamindin

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015

balamindin

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
There is also an 8 bay version of that. Outside your budget, though.

This is heading towards a NAS route though. And if I didn't already have a spare PC, I'd be up for it. But I still want to have just one box.

As it is, either have an enclosure like you suggested (which is another box) or perhaps a full-tower like Define 7 XL..which would be one big box :LOL:

Still not fond that front panel though :unsure:

Based on all that I've said, are there any other cases you'd recommend?
Thermaltake Core V71

main.jpg

http://nordic.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002231

balamindin

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
I really didn't like the look of V71 so I wasn't sure where to go from there.

But then I discovered Fractal Design Mashify 2XL (Dark Windowed) and was pretty sure that was it. Pulled the triggered last week and built it out (transferred my old PC in it and added more drives) over the weekend -- it was fantastic. There was ample amount of space and cable management so easy. I had never used full towers before but now I don't think I'd ever go back :LOL:

Thanks for all the replies.

balamindin

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
The case looks great.
But does it have enough drive mounts for your requirements?
It seems, it has only 6 drive mounts included.
Correct but I had extra HDD mounts from my previous build (with Silent Base 802) and re-used them in this. Now, I have 8 x HDD and 3 x SSD, and still some room left for a few more HDD but obviously I would need to get more mounts.

TRENDING THREADS