Best Monitor arm for a 20+ pound monitor!

Mar 20, 2018
Hi I am looking for a monitor arm that can handle a 21.5 pound monitor which can adjust so that I can move part of the arm towards the middle of my desk, which would be helpful because the desk is against the wall and I would like to keep it that way. Thanks! :)

Solution
If you have that option I would expect so.

However it depends on the desk.

If there is a lip or overhang on the back or sides then a clamp may work very well. That is the setup I use. However my monitor is a simple 24 " flat panel and the desk is made of solid wood. I occasionally use a second monitor which is smaller and just sits to the left of the main, arm mounted monitor. Directly on the desktop itself - not mounted.

There was the option to drill holes and screw the arm's base into the desk top. Not concerned about the aesthetics per se so I could have done that. However, using the clamp option allows for much easier re-arrangement if and when needed.

If the desk is one of those "big box" store, assembled products it is...

Ralston18

Titan
What make and model monitor? Are you sure about the weight?

Knowing the monitor make and model will be helpful to match monitor to possible arm choices.

21.5 pounds could be a real problem in two ways: 1) finding a monitor arm that will support that weight and, 2) being able to mount that arm somewhere that will, in turn, not collapse under the weight.

E.g., mount to wall, mount to desk back or top.

Overall, you have to look at both the arm's specifications and how the monitor is attached to the arm.

Can you mount to the wall and/or desk? Usually need to be able to drill holes and use wall anchors etc. But some arms are clamp style and will work if there is an overhang on either the back side or either the left or right side of the desk.

Mar 20, 2018

I was looking at this monitor
https://www.amazon.com/VIOTEK-GN35LD-Computer-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B0765CXH2Z/ref=pd_cart_wl_1_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0765CXH2Z&pd_rd_r=W5X947XBSNZQRS8ME0GH&pd_rd_w=EjRDW&pd_rd_wg=gyxfY&psc=1&refRID=W5X947XBSNZQRS8ME0GH
Is that any good for a monitor that price? Or is there something better?

Ralston18

Titan
As I understand the additional links therein, the monitor comes with brackets for wall mounting.

Reference:

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx133JYJVPT50H2/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza

Recommend that you check the application User Guide/Manual and carefully read through the installation instructions.

May void any warranties if you use a third party product for wall mounting the monitor.

As for the monitor being good for the price, more information is needed.

E.g., monitor specifications, ports needed, audio, video. Features and functions. Budget?

Amazon reviews seem okay but look for other verified purchaser reviews plus online professional product reviews.

Always a good idea to visit the manufacturer's website and check their Forum and FAQs. You can learn quite a bit with respect to what is said and is not said.

And again. Find the User Guide/Manuals. They can be very enlightening when it comes to learning about a product of any sort. Especially details buried in the "fine print".

Mar 20, 2018

I was looking for using a monitor arm, like a ergotech monitor arm or something similar, the price point for the monitor is $500 preferably above 27" curved too, but a non curved one is fine too

Ralston18

Titan
That being the case, start with the arm/mounting specifications provided by the monitor's manufacturer.

Be certain that you understand the range of mounting options for the monitor: e.g., VESA, base, and so forth.

If the ergotech monitor arm matches (meets/exceeds) the monitor's requirements then look at the ergotech's mounting guidelines: i.e., wall studs, base mounts etc..

The problem will not be matching monitor to arm so much as securing the arm so it all does not come crashing down.

Do two things:

1) get a stud finder and locate the studs inside the wall. Do not trust any of the many models of wall anchors to provide sufficient support. You will need multiple wall anchors to distribute the load.

The drywall will start flexing and cracking as the monitor is moved about. Especially with a 20 pound load. Actually the wall will be supporting the weight of monitor and arm both - remember that.

And many drywall anchors are cheap plastic that will stretch and even break under load. Or just tear through the wall.

2) Cut a piece of cardboard the size of the monitor. Hold the cardboard or temporarily""mount it" in the expected use area. Sort of a prototype approach. Remember the actual monitor will be thicker and curved.

Move your prototype cardboard about to represent the required articulation once the monitor is mounted.

The prototype may reveal some other issues that otherwise might not appear until after you have started drilling holes etc..

Mar 20, 2018

Isn't it just better to mount the monitor onto a arm that clamps to the desk?

Ralston18

Titan
If you have that option I would expect so.

However it depends on the desk.

If there is a lip or overhang on the back or sides then a clamp may work very well. That is the setup I use. However my monitor is a simple 24 " flat panel and the desk is made of solid wood. I occasionally use a second monitor which is smaller and just sits to the left of the main, arm mounted monitor. Directly on the desktop itself - not mounted.

There was the option to drill holes and screw the arm's base into the desk top. Not concerned about the aesthetics per se so I could have done that. However, using the clamp option allows for much easier re-arrangement if and when needed.

If the desk is one of those "big box" store, assembled products it is likely made of particle board or some variation thereof. Not the same as solid wood.

Overtime the screw holes will erode to the point where moving the 21 pound monitor will just rip the screws out collapsing it all. Even if you do not move the monitor about all that much, the screws will be slowly tearing loose. Just as a function of gravity. And if you extend the monitor the arm leverage is likely to accelerate the process.

You can prevent such things by installing a piece of plywood, hopefully underneath, to reinforce the mounting surface.

Or drill through the original surface and use bolts and nuts. Or even both plywood reinforcement and bolts.

My concern is both immediate and long term support for the proposed monitor.

Not that you cannot do so. Just keep the mechanics/physics of it all in mind.

The clamping approach is simple and straight-forward. Still the desk itself must be able to bear the load.

If not, "catastrophic failure" will be a matter of when - not if.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS