Best monitor / technology choice for dark room (night working) - IPS or TN?

OpravdovejTrotl

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
Hello guys,

I am about to buy a new monitor. My old laptot worked fine but it is time to say goodbye. It's just too small for me.

While I was doing my research, I got pretty excited for IPS technology. Vibrant colors, sufficient response time (good input lag) and most importantly, it is cheap (at least e-IPS). This is my favorite:

http://www.extrahardware.com/acer-h226hql-faithful-colors-inexpensive-and-glossy-ips-without-pwm/strana/0/11

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009484

However, I am not sure about one thing. It is the room where I am going to use it. It is completely dark for whole day. I can turn the lights there, but any glossy monitor would reflect it back to my face (just like my TN laptop did). Therefore, I could be described as "working all night" user.

And that is where e-IPS gives me some concerns.

- IPS glow and backlight bleeding
- not ecactly good levels of black

Almost every review mentions that cheap IPS panels are not ecactly the best choice for watching movies at night. You can find plenty of Youtube videos, where owners complain about their backlight bleeding or IPS glow. And it is always at night or without the lights turned on.

So I ask: Which monitor would you recommend for using only at night? Are my concerns relevant? Do IPS monitors really behave that bad if they are not used by daylight? And isn't my best choice to stay conservative and just go and buy TN panel? Like, for example this one, which I really like?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Electronic-GmbH-LS22B350HS-EN/dp/B0074H1SBM

I am well aware of bad color levels and ridiculous viewing angels from my laptop, but I do not really mind that, because I can always sit straight. Also, sometimes it comes in handy, when I need deeper black levels. I just move my had a little and everything is black more than enough ;-)

I am not really a fan of MVA technology, though I have never seen it in action (just like IPS) so I would not like to judge it. But why not? What do you guys think?

I should also write for what am I going to use that monitor. Well, mostly for working, but I am no graphic designer or photographer. On the contrary. I do not need amazing colors or high contrast. I would be much happier if it was just a little bit more sensitive for my eyes. They hurt a lot on my small laptop in that room. Furthermore, I am a big fan of movies and computer games, so good response time and black color that does not behave like bright blue or yellow would be awesome. And it should not be bigger than 23'' (that room of mine is not that big).

Thank your for any suggestions, solutions, opinions or personal experiences.

Have a nice day.

OpravdovejTrotl

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
References to commercial Spam removed by Saga Lout.

The poster of the message you quoted has been banned from Tom's for bombarding the forum with his Spam links.

That software you recommended is most interesting. I have not encountered anything like that yet. I like the "warm colors" mode. Thank you for that ;-)

Btw, I could not agree more. About the brightness. Without lowering it to minimum and using some kind of dim light, my eyes would already be dead by now. Occasional breaks and letting your eyes have some rest is also good thing to do. But when you really have to spend all day/night working and staring to your laptot, even after following those rules, your eyes just hurt no matter what you do (at least mine do).

That's actually the main reason why am I looking for new (cheap / budget) screen. I need something bigger, foremost. Focusing my eyes into small laptot screen is not pleasant experience at all and... I like it full HD. However, there is so much technologies (tn, wled, va, ips...), every one of them has its own advantages and disadvantages... and even that I know about most of them, I just cannot make up my mind.

Well, maybe I can. I still find TN most universial, so I might just go for that Samsung panel I posted before. I like where IPS / MVA is going, but I still think it needs a little more time. At least the cheap variations for people on budget like me.

Thank you again for your suggestions and concern (about my eyes ;-) ).