[SOLVED] Best + most affordable way to set up wired networks for 2 laptops not within reach

Apr 17, 2020
Hello,

Due to COVID19 I have found myself living with a friend who is working from home. She connects to a remote server for work and is currently using WIFI.
I need to set up online teaching and the company insist on wired internet; if the internet drops out and you are not connected again within 3 mins you lose the session payment and if this happens several times you lose the contract.

This is a temporary set-up so I need something affordable. I am therefore looking for the best way to connect both mine and my friend's laptops to the wired internet so that if I connect mine it doesn't weaken her connection.

I will be using it upstairs and she'll be downstairs so I was considering buying a TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT Nano AV600 Powerline Adapter or something similar.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Yes that will work but I would avoid those particular units. TPlink is being jerks and they renamed the av500 units av600 but kept the part number the same.

They are trying to confuse people who want the new standard which is called av2-600. Still more confusing many manufactures are calling av2-600 av2-1000.

In any case you want AV2 based stuff. Av2-1200 (or called 2000) is the fastest but I would not buy less than AV2-600 units. TPlink units that run these newer standards are some of the top rated. I just wish they would fire some dishonest marketing guys.
Yes that will work but I would avoid those particular units. TPlink is being jerks and they renamed the av500 units av600 but kept the part number the same.

They are trying to confuse people who want the new standard which is called av2-600. Still more confusing many manufactures are calling av2-600 av2-1000.

In any case you want AV2 based stuff. Av2-1200 (or called 2000) is the fastest but I would not buy less than AV2-600 units. TPlink units that run these newer standards are some of the top rated. I just wish they would fire some dishonest marketing guys.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

Due to COVID19 I have found myself living with a friend who is working from home. She connects to a remote server for work and is currently using WIFI.
I need to set up online teaching and the company insist on wired internet; if the internet drops out and you are not connected again within 3 mins you lose the session payment and if this happens several times you lose the contract.

This is a temporary set-up so I need something affordable. I am therefore looking for the best way to connect both mine and my friend's laptops to the wired internet so that if I connect mine it doesn't weaken her connection.

I will be using it upstairs and she'll be downstairs so I was considering buying a TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT Nano AV600 Powerline Adapter or something similar.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
It sounds like this is money related. I think you need to consider a business approach. You should get a second internet source and a dual WAN router. Your second internet could be cellular if DSL or other low speed low cost internet is not available. But at least if your primary internet fails you both have a backup.