Question Best/most cost effective GPU upgrade path for my system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

febisfebi

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Hello all, its been a while, but its good to be back!
I recently put all my best parts out of a couple computers I've been using for different purposes, into one system which I would like to upgrade the GPU on in order to have a decent gaming and multimedia PC for my 4K tv.

I'm not asking for top performance 4k gaming out of this GPU/system, but I wouldn't mind solid 1080p and 1440p gaming with nice 4k desktop and 4k video capabilty.
One thing to note. My TV/monitor is limited to HDMI 2.0. So 4096x2160 @ 60Hz is my max viewable output. So if we are talking about 1080p or 1440p gaming at extremely high frame rates will be counter productive, as I will only see 60 of those frames per second on my display.

Here is my current system specs as of today: If anyone has any suggestions that could open up performance bottlenecks for not too much money, speak up!
$300 is my absolute max budget for GPU and anything else. Hopefully around $200 or less. But don't want to compromise performance to save only a few bucks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 3340 @3.1 GHz

RAM: 16GB ddr3 1600 ram 2 sets of 4gb sticks. One set is limited to ddr3 1333 so I am aware that the 1600 might be underclocked. Seems worth it for double the ram though I figured. Comments?

GPU: To be replaced
Nvidia 8400 GS GT128 takes up 2 slots so I have at least that much space, could probably come up with 3 slots if neccesary.

PSU: Current Thermaltake 430w. Also have a Corsair 500w or maybe 550w in one of the cannibalized computers I use less often. I can add this to the gaming computer if neccesary, but I hate overkilling it in the PSU watts dept if not neccesary. (I do pay for my electricity, and half a KW is nothing to sneer at)

Storage: Sata 7200 rpm hard drives, several.
I have considered in my budget, a small/inexpensive ~$50 250gb SSD for OS/games but GPU comes first, and I am pretty sure I will need an additional Sata III 6gb/s interface card right?
Is this really all that's necessary to take advantage of SSD speed?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-PCI-E...owGO&LH_BIN=1&frcectupt=true&autorefresh=true
My Sata interface is described as:
7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Famil 6-port SATA controller [AHCI mode]
My Pci Bridge is described as follows: (not sure this matters)
7 series/C215 Chipset Family Pci Expresss Root Port 1

GPUs I am considering:

Budget $100-$260+ or so if neccesary for GPU

Toms Hardware GPU hierarchy is where I have gotten most of my comparisons.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
Option 1: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
$260 - Ebay/amazon
Option 2: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660
$215 new Dont see much savings with open box/refurb on nvidia cards
Option 3: AMD Radeon RX 590 8GB
$229 brand new. Could save $30-50 by going with open box/refurb, or slightly more pre-owned
Option 4: AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB
$139 according to THG amazon link, no longer available it seems

I would jump on this in a second but it doesn't seem to be available at that link. Looks like I can get an open box/refurb for around this price or cheaper, and new for $180 still not bad, but enough that the higher end options take some more careful consideration, for only a few $$ more.
These are the best performing cards I saw in my price range. I am not made of money, but I am willing to spend the full budget if they money is well spent, I will see significant improvements and my system can handle it. If i'm not going to see much or any peformance difference on MY system between spending $140 on an open box RX580 8GB, and $260 GTX 1660Ti, I would likely spring for the cheaper RX580.
One thing to note however, Open box/Refurb options seem to be widely available for ATI cards whereas the Nvidia cards I saw there, had no savings for this option if you were to even find one. Refurb/open box(returns) appear extremely unavailable from NVIDIA cards/makers, at least the ones I am familiar with. Certainly the ones I listed.
This tells me that the NVIDIA cards are significantly more reliable, as their return rate has to be very low or they would be offering savings for such refurbished/open box options. Unless its just a marketing gimmick to make them look better.

Please help me decide which card to buy, and what kind of performance I can expect from my system once installed. If there are other things I should upgrade with part of the budget rather than spending it all on the most expensive GPU in my budget, please say something. I am open to, and appreciate all suggestions/information.

Thanks in advance!

The step up program is the reason I am considering buying one.
I am thinking just get a 1660 vanilla, for around $220 and then upgrade to either the 2060 which should hopefully be around $250, or maybe the 2060-super if it is not too much more. I like the step up program Idea as I am sick of waiting for Nvidia to release these new cards and stop just talking about them.

A while back you said that you would advise against nVidia cards
"as their TV support is always garbage compared to AMDs. Yes, it is; do not argue this as I've had plenty of years of troubles with nVidia and TVs whereas AMD has had none."

What sort of troubles? I have had an nvidia card (old one) running on my tv for ~6 months now with no issues. What is it about AMD cards that would be so different?
Thanks again!
It's been different issues along the years:
  • Unsupported TVs (no correct signaling to them) with HDMI. Sony TVs of old are still a PITA.
  • Bad simultaneous TV+monitor split. Sometimes the GPUs just can't handle multi screens correctly and give you random visual errors or just driver failures.
  • Incorrect scaling (happened only once, so I'm not sure it's common) for a DP monitor when DP was fairly new.

If you haven't had any issues with your TV and the GPU, then that's good. Most standard TVs should have no issues whatsoever with nVidia cards, but if you're unlucky and have a weird manufacturer or the TV has weird refresh rates and resolutions, you'll have to manually resolve some issues.

Cheers!