Question Best Motherboard for an i9-9900KS

Dec 10, 2019
I am buying an Intel i9-9900KS chip. I am interested in matching it up with a motherboard that would allow me to overclock it to the extreme. I have an awesome heat removal system ready to go. I have heard the MSI motherboards are the best at minimizing "throttling" down, as long as the cooling solution is keeping pace. So which motherboard would the readers here recommend? Thank you in advance.

I am buying an Intel i9-9900KS chip. I am interested in matching it up with a motherboard that would allow me to overclock it to the extreme. I have an awesome heat removal system ready to go. I have heard the MSI motherboards are the best at minimizing "throttling" down, as long as the cooling solution is keeping pace. So which motherboard would the readers here recommend? Thank you in advance.
Not sure where you heard that about MSI. Gigabyte has the best VRMs on z390. If you want the best, z390 Aorous Extreme. MSI Godlike and ASUS Maximus extreme are very close and good choices.

Dec 10, 2019
Not sure where you heard that about MSI. Gigabyte has the best VRMs on z390. If you want the best, z390 Aorous Extreme. MSI Godlike and ASUS Maximus extreme are very close and good choices.

Hello, and thank you for your reply.

I was reading an article about how the "Intel Spec" for their i9-9900KS chip, in particular the TDP rating and its associated parameters, was being interpreted by different motherboard manufacturers. The spec actually allows for 1.25 times the "published TDP" for a certain duration of time, known as the "mu factor" (after the Greek Letter), before "throttling back" the overclock speed for a period of time to allow the CPU to cool down.

Some motherboards would supposedly "err on the side of caution" and not delegate to the cooling solution, paying "strict attention" to the duration before throttling. Some overclockers were unhappy with "frequent throttling" where the CPU would run fast and then slower, fast and then slower, back and forth. BIOS patches and other workarounds were not ultimately successful.

Other motherboards supposedly say "OK, if you really know what you are doing, go for it" and will let your overclock remain high as a kite as long as your CPU temps are comfortably within an acceptable range. The article pointed out that the MSI Godlike motherboard would "trust the overclocker more" and therefore throttle less.

Hello, and thank you for your reply.

I was reading an article about how the "Intel Spec" for their i9-9900KS chip, in particular the TDP rating and its associated parameters, was being interpreted by different motherboard manufacturers. The spec actually allows for 1.25 times the "published TDP" for a certain duration of time, known as the "mu factor" (after the Greek Letter), before "throttling back" the overclock speed for a period of time to allow the CPU to cool down.

Some motherboards would supposedly "err on the side of caution" and not delegate to the cooling solution, paying "strict attention" to the duration before throttling. Some overclockers were unhappy with "frequent throttling" where the CPU would run fast and then slower, fast and then slower, back and forth. BIOS patches and other workarounds were not ultimately successful.

Other motherboards supposedly say "OK, if you really know what you are doing, go for it" and will let your overclock remain high as a kite as long as your CPU temps are comfortably within an acceptable range. The article pointed out that the MSI Godlike motherboard would "trust the overclocker more" and therefore throttle less.
Any of those three boards above will do just fine. They are the three top overclocking boards. I have an Aorous Master with a 9900k @5.0 and have no issues.

Reactions: JustAnOverclocker