Question Best motherboard for Corsair CX750

Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, I recently had to upgrade my PSU as my other one fried, but the one I bought is not compatible with my current stock motherboard. I was wondering if anyone can post some suggestions of motherboards comparable with the Corsair CX750 PSU (preferably £50-100) Many thanks!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You usually don't buy a motherboard for a PSU.

And on top of that there are MANY different motherboards for MANY different processors.

How about you give us your system specs including especially your processor and memory because those things are what need to be compatible with the board.

The CX 750 will work with everything aftermarket.

Reactions: DMAN999
not compatible? what do you mean?

all motherboards support all psus as all psus and motherboards use the same connectors
20 or 20+4 pin
4 or 4+4 eps
4 or 6 or 6+2 pcie
molex (old standard)
sata power
maybe a 4 pins power or smthn

all those should be on your motherboard/gpu/anything else.

and a cx750 is a modern power supply that will have probably all of those
and definitely all youll need for any new motherboard

remember buying a motherboard usually means buying a new cpu too.

Aug 1, 2019
You usually don't buy a motherboard for a PSU.

And on top of that there are MANY different motherboards for MANY different processors.

How about you give us your system specs including especially your processor and memory because those things are what need to be compatible with the board.

The CX 750 will work with everything aftermarket.

Ah right okay,

Intel I5 3470 quad core
2x4gb DDR3 1600mhz memory
500GB HDD 7200rmp
GTX 970 gaming 4gb

Aug 1, 2019
not compatible? what do you mean?

all motherboards support all psus as all psus and motherboards use the same connectors
20 or 20+4 pin
4 or 4+4 eps
4 or 6 or 6+2 pcie
molex (old standard)
sata power
maybe a 4 pins power or smthn

all those should be on your motherboard/gpu/anything else.

and a cx750 is a modern power supply that will have probably all of those
and definitely all youll need for any new motherboard

remember buying a motherboard usually means buying a new cpu too.

When I fitted the new PSU nothing would turn on and I plugged everything in right to my knowledge, so I asked a friend about it and he said it is not compatible so I just went with that, he’s really good with computers and I’m not the best so I just took his word

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Ah right okay,

Intel I5 3470 quad core
2x4gb DDR3 1600mhz memory
500GB HDD 7200rmp
GTX 970 gaming 4gb

Is the system a former prebuilt (Dell or HP or whatnot)?

The problem you have is there is NO new market for the board you need, only used. Used boards can work, but can be iffy of course as with buying any used hardware.

Newegg has some boards still available, anything here would work for you

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007627 600093976

Reactions: JimmysMechanics

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
When I fitted the new PSU nothing would turn on and I plugged everything in right to my knowledge, so I asked a friend about it and he said it is not compatible so I just went with that, he’s really good with computers and I’m not the best so I just took his word

Ok that changes things. If your system is not a Dell or HP, and everything just plugged in, then your friend doesn't know what he is talking about.

You likely were shorting something out, maybe plugged something in wrong.

Whats the brand and model of your motherboard?

Aug 1, 2019
Ok that changes things. If your system is not a Dell or HP, and everything just plugged in, then your friend doesn't know what he is talking about.

You likely were shorting something out, maybe plugged something in wrong.

Whats the brand and model of your motherboard?
It’s an intel corporation DQ77CP, I bought the pc already built off my friend

Aug 1, 2019
Is the system a former prebuilt (Dell or HP or whatnot)?

The problem you have is there is NO new market for the board you need, only used. Used boards can work, but can be iffy of course as with buying any used hardware.

Newegg has some boards still available, anything here would work for you

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007627 600093976
I bought the pc pre built off of my friend, thank you for the suggestion I will have a look,

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
It’s an intel corporation DQ77CP, I bought the pc already built off my friend

Ok You do NOT need a motherboard. That board has the proper connectors.

Somehow in putting it together you did something wrong. Either something in the wrong socket, or somehow the board is shorting.

Start over and plug it all in again. Also make sure the switch on the back of the PSU is on, and make sure you didn't unplug any connectors for the switches etc.

Aug 1, 2019

Somehow in putting it together you did something wrong. Either something in the wrong socket, or somehow the board is shorting.

Start over and plug it all in again. Also make sure the switch on the back of the PSU is on, and make sure you didn't unplug any connectors for the switches etc.
With my old power supply there was a while 4 pin pcie to go in the slot next to the cpu but the new PSU doesn’t have one, is that essential? Also when I plug everything in there are lights on inside and when I press the power on button the fans spin and the gpu light up for a very brief moment

Aug 1, 2019
hmmmm. That PSU should work with that board, it has a standard ATX 24 pin and a EPS 4 pin.

You sure everything is plugged in properly?

If that's the modular variant, make sure all your modular cables are snug inside the PSU connectors.
I plugged everything in which was in from the last PSU except for a white 4 pin pcie connector by the cpu as the new PSU does not have one of these

Aug 1, 2019

Done all of this and made sure all previous connectors are in and still just small lights in the inside. There was a white 4 pin pcie cable which didn’t come with the new power supply, could that be the reason?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
With my old power supply there was a while 4 pin pcie to go in the slot next to the cpu but the new PSU doesn’t have one, is that essential? Also when I plug everything in there are lights on inside and when I press the power on button the fans spin and the gpu light up for a very brief moment

That is essential, and the CX750 definitely has a 4 pin EPS connector. Thats your problem.

This is it right?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Supply-Units/cx-series-config/p/CP-9020123-NA

Somewhere in that wire bundle is a 4 pin connector. it actually probably is 2 4 pins linked together.

100% this is your issue.

Aug 1, 2019
That is essential, and the CX750 definitely has a 4 pin EPS connector. Thats your problem.

This is it right?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Supply-Units/cx-series-config/p/CP-9020123-NA

Somewhere in that wire bundle is a 4 pin connector. it actually probably is 2 4 pins linked together.

100% this is your issue.
I plugged it in (with two pins hanging off the side) and still nothing. There is a green and a blue light on inside but that is the only sign of life

From the manual for your PSU (you can download it here) :

Connect the eight-pin +12V (EPS12V) cable to the motherboard.
A. If your motherboard has an eight-pin +12V socket, connect the eight-pin cable directly to your motherboard.
B. If your motherboard has a four-pin socket, detach the four-pin from the eight-pin cable, and then plug this four-pin cable directly to your motherboard.

Reactions: JimmysMechanics
Aug 1, 2019
From the manual for your PSU (you can download it here) :

Connect the eight-pin +12V (EPS12V) cable to the motherboard.
A. If your motherboard has an eight-pin +12V socket, connect the eight-pin cable directly to your motherboard.
B. If your motherboard has a four-pin socket, detach the four-pin from the eight-pin cable, and then plug this four-pin cable directly to your motherboard.
I only have 8-pin which splits into 6-pin and a 2-pin so i used the 6 pin with two pins hangig off the side?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I plugged it in (with two pins hanging off the side) and still nothing. There is a green and a blue light on inside but that is the only sign of life

NOOOO!!!!

Thats a PCIe plug for your GPU.

You may have fried your motherboard if you tried to turn it on.

It is specifically a 4+4 pin setup

pp06-eps75-02.jpg

Looks like that.

Find that hook it up and pray. I hope you did not fry your board.

TRENDING THREADS