[SOLVED] Best motherboard for i5-10400

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
So I have basically decided on an i5-10400 for my next CPU upgrade. My budget is 80 dollars for the motherboard. Can someone tell me the best motherboard for this CPU for under 80 dollars? The GPU I will be pairing it with is a GTX 1650 super but I mostly play CPU-intensive games. Also do I have to wipe my SSD to do a reinstall of windows? Currently running on an OEM copy. Thanks for all of your help.

Solution
Hmmm, thanks those all look like great options, which one do you recommend most?

I'd probably lean towards the ASRock for it's additional USB3 internal header and 2230 slot for Wifi/BT should the need arise. Tradeoff in SATA ports though (4 vs 6)

Ultimately, they're all much the same... Very minor differences.

Also, is the only difference between the two MSI motherboards that the A version lacks a VGA port?

As far as I can tell, yes.

My other question is what is the advantage of going with B460 vs H410? Besides that B460 boards tend to have more features.

In this instance? Not too much - biggest one would be available PCIe lanes from the chipset, so M.2, BT/Wifi etc.

The other 'features' are mostly...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Any H410, B460, H470 or Z490 board is going to perform about as well as any other when paired with a 10400.

I'd typically advocate B460 or H470 and 4 DIMM slots, but with an $80 budget, your options are limited.

I see two MSI and one ASROCK board available with B460 (rather than H410) <$80, but all are two DIMM slot boards, and all are mATX.

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
Any H410, B460, H470 or Z490 board is going to perform about as well as any other when paired with a 10400.

I'd typically advocate B460 or H470 and 4 DIMM slots, but with an $80 budget, your options are limited.

I see two MSI and one ASROCK board available with B460 (rather than H410) <$80, but all are two DIMM slot boards, and all are mATX.
Hmmm, thanks those all look like great options, which one do you recommend most?

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
Also, is the only difference between the two MSI motherboards that the A version lacks a VGA port? My other question is what is the advantage of going with B460 vs H410? Besides that B460 boards tend to have more features.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

I'd probably lean towards the ASRock for it's additional USB3 internal header and 2230 slot for Wifi/BT should the need arise. Tradeoff in SATA ports though (4 vs 6)

Ultimately, they're all much the same... Very minor differences.

Also, is the only difference between the two MSI motherboards that the A version lacks a VGA port?

As far as I can tell, yes.

My other question is what is the advantage of going with B460 vs H410? Besides that B460 boards tend to have more features.

In this instance? Not too much - biggest one would be available PCIe lanes from the chipset, so M.2, BT/Wifi etc.

The other 'features' are mostly irrelevant on such low tier B460 boards:
B460 overall can have two dimms per channel, but on a 2 slot board, it's irrelevant.
6 SATA over H410, but for the ASRock you only get 4 anyway.
USB ports max increased over H410 (8 vs 4 USB3, 12 vs 10 USB2)
Support for RAID and Optane than H410 lacks.

Solution
Oct 15, 2020
So I have basically decided on an i5-10400 for my next CPU upgrade. My budget is 80 dollars for the motherboard. Can someone tell me the best motherboard for this CPU for under 80 dollars? The GPU I will be pairing it with is a GTX 1650 super but I mostly play CPU-intensive games. Also do I have to wipe my SSD to do a reinstall of windows? Currently running on an OEM copy. Thanks for all of your help.
Under 80 dollars, I think go to B460M chipset asrock motherboard. Somehow it may be cost around 80 dollars. Gigabyte and msi are little costlly than asrock...
For your kind information I have recently bought Asrock B460M pro4 which cost around Rs10000 in Indian market value. It was amazing motherboard... I can able to boot windows 10 within 10 seconds. Not only this I can even play games with 60fps in normal graphics card (not so valuable).

Oct 15, 2020
Oct 15, 2020
Also, is the only difference between the two MSI motherboards that the A version lacks a VGA port? My other question is what is the advantage of going with B460 vs H410? Besides that B460 boards tend to have more features.
H470 motherboard is typically for Home theater pc. If you are a architect or multimedia expert or an engineer then you may choose H470, otherwise B460 motherboard is good for all categories. If you are a gamer then go for z series motherboard.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I suggest for 4dimm slot

Not doable with $80, unfortunately.

H470 motherboard is typically for Home theater pc. If you are a architect or multimedia expert or an engineer then you may choose H470, otherwise B460 motherboard is good for all categories. If you are a gamer then go for z series motherboard.

What you do with a system in terms of workloads has very little to do with the chipset.
Z really boils down to overclocking these days

Oct 15, 2020
Not doable with $80, unfortunately.

What you do with a system in terms of workloads has very little to do with the chipset.
Z really boils down to overclocking these days
As per your quote it seem to have you don't like z series motherboard. Anyhow I checked z series motherboard and also run gaming. No issues still occured.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
As per your quote it seem to have you don't like z series motherboard. Anyhow I checked z series motherboard and also run gaming. No issues still occured.

Nothing against Z series, or anything else for that matter - each serve their purpose.

A more expensive board won't give you any issues, other than the significantly larger dent in your wallet.

If you're buying a K sku CPU and intent to overclock, buy a Z board. Otherwise, there's very few arguments for a Z board.

Oct 15, 2020
Nothing against Z series, or anything else for that matter - each serve their purpose.

A more expensive board won't give you any issues, other than the significantly larger dent in your wallet.

If you're buying a K sku CPU and intent to overclock, buy a Z board. Otherwise, there's very few arguments for a Z board.
It's true z series motherboard really are expensive.... But I am satisfied by this motherboard.... Because it can run every app that I need.. I have also b series motherboard. I checked several like msi asrock asus Biostar etc. So I have little experience.
Thank

TRENDING THREADS