[SOLVED] Best Motherboard for My 1070 and 5600x Build?!?

Fritchard

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2015
I think my CPU or Ram, or something recently failed on me. I randomly can no longer play warzone smoothly at all with my i5-6600k and gtx1070. So I decided I am buying a Ryzen 5600x and upgrading my 2400 ram to 3200 (or 3600?). I just have no idea what motherboard to get and I really don't want to spend more than 150-170 if I don't have to. I heard some issues with the Asus TUF x570 if you have a large graphics card. I assume my ASUS Strix 1070 would fall under that.

All I use the PC for is gaming so I don't really know what features I need and don't need. Thanks!

Solution
I think my CPU or Ram, or something recently failed on me. I randomly can no longer play warzone smoothly at all with my i5-6600k and gtx1070. So I decided I am buying a Ryzen 5600x and upgrading my 2400 ram to 3200 (or 3600?). I just have no idea what motherboard to get and I really don't want to spend more than 150-170 if I don't have to. I heard some issues with the Asus TUF x570 if you have a large graphics card. I assume my ASUS Strix 1070 would fall under that.

All I use the PC for is gaming so I don't really know what features I need and don't need. Thanks!
FWIW: the one clear 'feature' X570 boards offer over B550 boards are more PCIe gen 4 lanes to spread around. What that translates to is you can have more SATA ports...
In that price range, unless there is some feature on the X570 boards that you absolutely HAVE to have, I'd stick to the B550 chipset and go with the B550 Tomahawk which has a pretty good VRM configuration and enough features to make X570 not particularly worthy of spending more unless you MUST have something not found on any of the B550 boards within this price range. Plus, you'll eliminate the somewhat annoying chipset fan noise on the X570 boards.

FWIW: the one clear 'feature' X570 boards offer over B550 boards are more PCIe gen 4 lanes to spread around. What that translates to is you can have more SATA ports populated without using up PCIe sockets and so therefore can have more add-in cards too. But X570 boards have also been marketed as premium and therefore might be made with more layers which can lend itself to higher overclocking of memory.

But B550 aren't shabby as they service most well-equipped enthusiasts well enough with 1 gen 4 capable GPU and 1 gen 4 capable NVME. And as well at least 4 SATA 6 Gbps HDD/SDD ports and a scattering of PCIe slots or extra Gen3 NVME ports or extra SATA ports or WiFi or a 2nd GigiBit LAN port. It's very much up to the mfr. and part of the reason for so many models, so look at features to choose which you might want. And last, it's not hard to overclock memory to 3600Mtps on most any B550 board and frequently done with capable memory.

Solution