Question Best motherboard for overclocking i9-13900k ?

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
I run 30GB of data for statistical analysis using the statistical software Stata. That's the only important purpose.

I currently have i9-12900kf, but I might buy i9-13900k if this is better for my purpose.

And I want to overclock it because Stata says "The faster the clock speed and the more cache a processor has, the faster Stata will run. "

I am wondering which motherboard will be the best motherboard for this purpose.

The other components I have are

CPU Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory: Crucial DDR5 4800 (two)
Case: Lancool III
Power: GEX 1050
SSD: Crucial 2TB SSD PCle M.2
GPU: Radeon RX 6500

By the way, Stata has this and this page that explains what CPU is good for Stata. Key information is

The faster the clock speed and the more cache a processor has, the faster Stata will run.

Virtually all computers now have processors with multiple cores. A core is the computation engine of a CPU, consisting of integer and floating-point processing units. Thus a computer with one dual-core processor is similar to a computer with two processors. In fact, Stata/MP does not distinguish between CPUs and cores; it is designed to use systems with up to 64 cores—be they single core (one per CPU), dual core (two per CPU), or multicore (many per CPU).

Most manufacturers sell multiprocessor computers as servers. Thus your choice is to buy a desktop or laptop computer with a multicore CPU or a server with multiple processors, each of which likely has multiple cores. Having more processors/cores means that Stata/MP will run faster.

Be aware of the term “hyperthreaded”, however. Stata/MP runs faster on hyperthreaded processors, but not as fast as it would if you had full cores instead of hyperthreads. Computers with multiple hyperthreaded processors are suitable for Stata/MP. The number of real processors is the critical factor.

Hey there,

Interested in your post. Not heard of Stata before and it's uses, but have just been initiated :)

So, in terms of your current CPU and the 13900k - There is a good bump in clockspeed, so that's a win straight away. Also there's an increase in cache from 30mb to 36mb. So, again, would seem a plus for your usage.

With that said, I'm wondering in what way the software scales, with clocks/cache? Is it linearly? Is it just a few percent for a certain increase in mhz, even with the increase in host processing? Does that increase in performance justify the cost? Or does cost not really come into the equation?

What mobo do you currently run?

Reactions: mujmuj

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
Hey there,

Interested in your post. Not heard of Stata before and it's uses, but have just been initiated :)

So, in terms of your current CPU and the 13900k - There is a good bump in clockspeed, so that's a win straight away. Also there's an increase in cache from 30mb to 36mb. So, again, would seem a plus for your usage.

With that said, I'm wondering in what way the software scales, with clocks/cache? Is it linearly? Is it just a few percent for a certain increase in mhz, even with the increase in host processing? Does that increase in performance justify the cost? Or does cost not really come into the equation?

What mobo do you currently run?

I could read that "The faster the clock speed and the more cache a processor has, the faster Stata will run" but I am not sure how precisely it scales with clock speed and cache. I will let you know when I get this info.. but it's too technical to know I guess.

My current motherboard is ASROCK Z690 Phantom Gaming