[SOLVED] Best motherboard for Q6600?

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Hi, first post.

Not having anything better to do, I decided to clean the storage room of the house... I found an old intel core 2 quad q6600 still in the box. It doesn't seem to have ever been used.

I don't know much about this processor cause I think I was eight when this was released... But I read that the q6600 was very popular at the time. I really just want to try it out.

Soo, I was wondering if anyone knows the best motherboard for the q6600. I don't know what chipsets were compatible with it so I've got no idea what to search for.
I don't want any rare hard to find board, I've only got a limited budget. Would any of these boards even fit my NZXT H510 case? And are they at least DDR3 RAM? I got some DDR3 sticks here, so it would save me some cash if any of the boards support DDR3...

Thanks!

Solution
HERE is a pretty comprehensive list of compatible motherboards and required bios to use a 6600. You are looking at P35 and maybe some P45 chipsets among others.

IIRC they pretty much all used DDR2.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Oh, thanks.

So a motherboard with a P35 or P45 chipset would be the best option for the q6600?

I remembered that theres an old Dell Optiplex 745 lying around here.... it seems to have an LGA775 socket like the q6600 so I tried to install it... It actually works! but the bios screen is all garbled up for some reason, and there's suddenly a rear fan failure message on startup, even if it doesn't have a rear fan.