Best Motherboards For The Money (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe you're still listing the wrong AM1 boards. There are too many scenarios in which more than two SATA ports might be needed. For anything other than a kiosk, the ASRock AM1 boards (e.g. the AM1H-ITX) are the only AM1 boards I'd consider.

For the Intel motherboards I’m am a little surprised ASUS did not have one winner even MSI had one. For them to be beat by their arch rival GIGABYTE is one thing but for ASRock to beat them this bad is hilarious!

I guess that explains why, so Tom’s would only consider models submitted by the manufacturer? I guess ASUS feels it is above and beyond everyone else they don’t need to have any models reviewed. I thought I had seen some ASUS models reviewed recently on Tom’s. So it’s actually the best motherboards supplied for review

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
As far as I know, Asus has not seen fit to send any samples, and in at least a few cases, have specifically said they were not interested.

That is what has been said in the past. If sample not sent it doesn't make lists. Seems fair - Tom's shouldn't have to go out and buy ASUS boards just to include them nor should they rely on user reviews and internet hearsay to make a recommendation or determination. ASRock boards should obviously make lists as they are relentlessly improving on what has been good for a few years now. MSI has been racing to the bottom for a long time and I wonder how they make any list with their current UEFI design. I haven't owned a GB board for years so have no idea how those are these days. ASUS is my personal go to brand but I have no problem with their exclusion in the current Intel offerings. I have nothing but respect for ASR.

I know they've got some cheap stuff I wouldn't touch with a ten foot cable, but MSI has surprised me in positive ways lately with their "better" boards. A year or two ago I wouldn't have given them a second glance, but today I'm running one, and would consider others.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
It's interesting to see 'MIT' boards are back on the top after a short lull :)

Does anyone recommend its UD5 board? I've one persist request to build a Multimedia workstation for someone. Please ignore the board cost.

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
The GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 needs to be on this list. It's the most rated motherboard on NewEgg, super stable, great price, awesome specs, and is an overclocking monster.

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
How a bout placing an in page link two the AMD boards... just about broke my mouse wheel scrolling all the way down to them!

Mar 10, 2015
I, as an expert in the motherboard repair and service I do not think that Gigabyte makes good products .
We have abandoned the use of Gigabyte in workstations and servers in our company and our customers .
Example: look at what their suck-phones G-SMART (Gigabyte) and you immediately will understand everything .
I like electronics engineer does not recommend using products GIGABYTE. We use Intel, Supermicro or Asus.

Well Intel doesn't make desktop motherboards any more just some server motherboards so I hope you got a good supply of them. Out of the last 10 Gigabyte motherboards I used in systems I had to RMA 2 and it was a breeze. I got them back and they worked great. I bought one MSI at the same time for my build and had to RMA it. I'm still not too thrilled about the replacement they sent me not sure I'll use them for a gaming build again. ASUS... well they usually work great but if you have to RMA it, and deal with their RMA dept. may god be with you, because you need all the help you can get. If you were to rate RMA depts. they would have to be about the worst in the entire world. I had a motherboard go out 1 day past the DOA exchange period and they would only send me a "repaired motherboard". After going thru 5 of them and having problems with every single on like: No Audio, No LAN, Bad Bios, dead SATA controller, I finally got a new replacement motherboard and it only took 2.5 months of hell.

Marko_40

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
That's all wrong! One price the 2016 as a winder without 3.1 USB, inability to control the fans, etc etc... I pass...

DoctaCarta

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
What are the pros/cons on Bolton D3 and D4? Any recommended online resource? I am trying to figure out which is the best chipset to OC AMD 860K? Thanks

This is an article I found months back when researching this. ( http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1442-amd-apu-chipset-comparison-a88-a85-a78 )

In short, D3 ( known as A78 ) is older than D4 ( known as A88X ) so it won't have as much connectivity or as fast of connectivity. A78 still uses PCIe 2.0 whereas A88X uses PCIe3.0. A88X also allows PCIe lane splitting for multiple graphic cards. For storage, A88X has eight SATA ports where A78 only has six. Finally, it's not uncommon for mboard mfrs to use more premium components in the higher-end boards, so you're likely to get a higher quality board with A88X ( of course you'll also pay more for it. Both will support the same CPUs, though.

If you're building a fairly basic system with a single GPU, A78 / D3 is fine. However, if you want to tweak and overclock an Athlon, A88X is the better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.