Best Motherboards For The Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Et____

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015
i still don't get why you focus on giving the crown to the motherboard with the most everything.

i built a pc for my father in law and saved a ton of money compared to what he thought was what he needed.
you need 1 or 2 usb type C for future proofing. a handfull of usb 3.0. a few sata 6gb/s.

other than that. very few componants change. there's a change in ram speed limit and some overclocking capabilities depending on the price. but just warn about that, give a crown for best overclocker and a crown for best "i want a good pc don't bother me too much"

the people that need 10 sata and need 10 usb 3.0, they already know that, and they are shopping for it. i don't need all that, not many readers need all of those. and it makes a big difference between a 200 and 400$ motherboard

Where are you getting that? We don't award a board simply because it has "more." We award boards that have "more" for less money. I gave an MSI H81 board our "Editor Recommended" award, and it was under $60. Joe gave the same award to an H97 board. Neither of them had everything. They simply had more features for the money than their competitors. Yes, some "kitchen sink" boards get Editors Choice awards for the simple reason no other board offers all those features together in one product. Just remember that Choice doesn't mean best value so much as highest performing product. A Ferrari performs better than a Taurus, but no one recommends a Ferrari as an everyday driver.

The thing is, a "good PC" means different things to you than it does to me than it does to everyone else. The aforementioned MSI H81 board is a great option for someone who wants a basic computer. But it doesn't meet my needs. Some people legitimately need more than six drives and RAID. Some people need 32GB+ RAM. And some don't. Since we can't get a one-size-fits-all ( or even one-size-fits-most ) mboard, we simply look for what a board offers at its given price, how it performs, and compare that to what you can get in the market for a similar price. We simply offer the boards that impressed us the most in the hopes it arms the reader with good information when making a decision about their computing needs.

I agree, a lot of people complain about boards not being "high-end" enough, and I tire of their meaningless complaints. That said, refer to above. Some people do run home servers with numerous drives. Some people can use an 8C/16T CPU that X99 supports. Go back to the Ferrari analogy. While most people don't need one for their daily driving, some people do work at a race track.

We can only review what is sent into us. Though I hopefully have one on the way. If there are specific boards you'd like to see, let us know and we'll see if we can get them. Realize we have finite time, so we can't get to them all.

Alan_1986

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
Hello all. I am purchasing/building my first gaming pc, I have decided to leave consoles for a while. Now that AMD revealed the 480x, i was wondering what MOBO you all would recommend? I am going red and getting a FX-9590 for budget reasons. I sort of get the PCI slots and backwards compatibility, but I plan on dual 480x's and the build should be easily under 2k. The problem I have is I would like to buy all components now and then wait a month so I can order the dual 480x's, but I obviously do not want to make the mistake of a wrong MOBO. Again, a first-timer question. I am going to go with 2133- 32Gb RAM because of the stats. I appreciate any input, as my wife will hurt me if i am doing this in another year or two. By the way, I am interested in "traditional" 1080 or 4K gaming, so the VR(unfortunately) is not a concern. Thank you all for your time. 30 year old console gamer looking to make the switch.

That sounds like an excellent way to begin your own thread.
I will tell you with certainty, however, that no one will agree that the FX-9590 is a good choice. It is very hot, and few motherboards can handle it due to the enormous amount of power is sucks down.

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016

No, what I mean is that most manufactures just released new x99's explicitly with Broadwell-E in mind and I haven't seen any of those in the roundup. That's why.

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
limited # of mobos being 'the best'.... odd no ASUS...then again the shilling begins...new cpus and ram come out and all of a sudden what u got last yr is passe`...time to roll out the 500 dollar jobs.

logainofhades

Titan

Typically only boards reviewed, are samples given, by the manufacturers. Asus hasn't really been sending any our way, other than boards for essentially dead platforms. The best of list is only for boards that have been reviewed here.

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011

well then...it's their own dern fault...thanks for the response logainofhades that does explain a lot...and if that holds true for most everything else reviewed then consider me 'enlightened' thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.