Best NAS Enclosure

waketech

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
All,

I would like to buy a NAS enclosure (minimum 4 Bay) that has an ethernet connection (1000) to back up and store all my files. Can anyone suggest a good enclosure ?. It would also have to be compatible with my Popcorn Hour.

TIA

Infrant NV+ now Netgear NV+ ($499) w/ no disks. Their proprietary X-RAID rocks and support forums are great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822122010&cm_re=Netgear_NV%2b-_-22-122-010-_-Product

I bought mine w/ two disks (Seagate 7200's) when it was Infrant. Since Netgear took over, it's generally cheaper to buy the disks yaself.

Available storage = n-1 x C where n = No. of disks and C = capacity of smallest drive.

(4) 7200.12's will cost ya $360

NAS's though are not like Windows RAID. There's generally two groups of people with the NV+ .... those who thinks it's the greatest and those who think it's terrible which I think mainly results from them just doing things different than peeps expect. Sure is nice tho to hot swap HD's w/o a hiccup.

jprule

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

QNAP and Synology are two of the most well-known NAS providers. They both have a broad range of products and I believe you can easily find one within your price range. As for Popcorn Hour compatibility, you may need to search their forums first. Based on my quick glance, seems that Synology machines work with it better.