Best network card company?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DanNotDan

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
For a home network it is probably not worth your money to go for anything faster than 10/100. At my house we share broadband Internet, printers, and occassionally files. I doubt I would have seen any difference had I saved fifty cents and bought a 10M setup. The fact is, unless you are using seriously intensive applications, today's technology gives you more bandwidth than you need for a very low price.

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Well I have 5 computers throughout my house. Well I guess gigabit won't fit me then since it's so expensive. However would wireless networking be any good? I think sooner or later they will have an increased 54MB/s wireless network solution? Correct me if I'm wrong but I THINK that's what I remember seeing.
However security wise how secured will it be?

Right now I have the internet connected to a hub then the hub to a switch.. Is that a good setup?
What was the best device for networking? There was hub, router, and switch(or is that the same as router)?

Wireless is great. Even at 11mbs it is still fast enough to share dsl to 6 comps at a time.These are at 3 different homes.

My dsl is ethernet. Which is connected to a Linksys Wireless 4 port router/switch-BEFW11S4. This sendss it to my sons home.He has a Linksys USB wireless-WUSB11 version 2.5.

From there it goes by wire to a Linksys 5port switch-EZXS55W. My wifes comp and my comp are fed from this.

Then from the 5port switch also I have a Linksys WAP11 wireless accesspoint .This sends to another WAP11 at my brother-in-laws home. Which is hooked to another 5port switch. To feed his three comps.

All comps use full duplex 10/100 PCI ethernet cards except for my sons USB adaptor.He also has a pci nic set to a different ip adress .He ocasssionally brings his comp over and plugs into the lan for a lan party at my house.

The 2dba gain antanae on the WAP11s were not strong enough to carry the signal that far so we improvised a little. Now laugh if you must but we are using 2 Coffee cans as the antanae. one at each house. My wife still laughs at us. But they work and have a gain of about 5dba. Which is well under the FCC rules.

Now I'm looking at a new antanae setup using a small satelite dish with a coffee can antanae for a 20dba gain. This would allow me to also connect to my daughters home about 1/4 a mile away, if I can get them aimed correctly.

Security is better on some devices than others. Most offer 64bit encrytion. But some use the same key repeatedly while others switch keys.

In the repeating key security you could eventually get hacked if you transfered enough data,enough times ,for them to record a few hundred MBites of data .They may eventually be able to decode your transmissions,But ALMOST impossible to hack your computer through the built in firewall.

I aint signing nothing!!!

dstell

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
54mbit Wireless, which is the 802.11a standard from my experience at home isn't really that good. It has problems with range and walls. On the average, even if you are close to the AP, the speed goes up and down. Many times I hover around 18mbit, which isn't that great.

Last week, I made the final decision to switch over to the new 22mbit 802.11b standard which is both 11mbit 802.11b and 22mbit 802.11b with the 256bit encryption. Personally, I have been nothing but, unhappy with the performance of the 802.11a 54mbit, it just isn't ready for prime time yet. Skip it for the moment and wait till the new combo 802.11a and 802.11b access points comes out, they will suppot 72mbit, 54mbit, 22mbit, and 11mbit and all of the popular standards. Right now, I think that is what the future is for the moment, but who knows things might change by the time Comdex rolls around.

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
OK I'm very new to wireless and have never tried it. So what does AP stand for?

How does these 802.11a and 802.11b standards differ from eachother? Is it based on the transfer rates? Yes the walls and range will have an effect on how well your network will do but wouldn't it be even worse going for a wireless network when the transfer rate is even lower?
I mean these transfer rates are all theoretical right? You can't get 22mbit at 100% of the time on network transfer rates but somewhere along that area.....

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
AP == Access Point (a gateway between the physical and wireless network)

Basically, 802.11b = 11Mbps, 2.4Ghz
802.11a = 54Mbps (or maybe 72Mbps) 5Ghz

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Thanks.

802.11a being at 5GHz would have a higher risk of being hacked. But really how would you get hacked? The hacker would need to also have a wireless network to steal or transmit the data to their computer right? And in the end what can they really do if they were successful of "hacking" or getting your stuff?........

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I always use the MAC address filter, along with encryption and an obscure ESSID. If someone wants to hack me with all that stuff on, god bless them.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

JasonSw2

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Just to help fill in some of the gaps in this thread:

My two cents on the best NICs: Intel hands down for the top slot. Followed by 3Com and Adaptec for the high-end really nice NIC's.

For the respectably performing, reasonably priced segment, Netgear and SMC both work mighty fine. I dont think too highly of Linksys NICs personally.

Most 64-bit PCI NIC's are backwards compatible to standard 32-bit 33MHz PCI slots, like any motherboard would have. I'm not as sure about the new very high-speed low-drag PCI-X cards though.

As far as performance goes, remember we are talking mega-BITS here. 100 Million Bits per second. Divied by 8 to convert from bits to bytes and you get 12.5 Million Bytes per second. So 12.5 megaBYTES per second is the maximum theoretical throughput for a 10/100 ethernet connection.

Now, I dont want to slog down into details, but I think we can all agree that it tends to be rather difficult to perform at the maximum theoretical performance limit of pretty much anything. There are protocol tuning and configuration issues to deal with, Bus Mastering and CPU interrupt timers to take into consideration, and if you think about it 12megabytes per second is right around the sustained sequential transfer limit of many older hard drives.

Also fiber optics are not necessarily faster than copper CAT-5 connections. Its like comparing asphalt to concrete road surfaces and arguing which is faster. Fiber is however capable of supporting higher speed connections than Copper seeing as how 10Gigabit Ethernet only runs over fiber at the moment. But Gigabit Ethernet over copper will run at the same Gigabit per second as it would over fiber.

In my network I have just about 1,000 users in one building connected to a seperate building that contains our data center by two 1-Gigabit Fiber Optic Connections. I have yet to see the utilization of those two Gigabit links rise over 25%. Thats with 1000 people checking e-mail and surfing the net and various other work related activities.

Gigabit ethernet is way overkill for a gaming machine.

-JasonSw2

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Jasonsw2 easily has the best answer :) Intel nics are the least problematic & perform excellent. For cheaper alternative, I also prefer Dlink (& Netgear), but don't much care for the SMC & Realtek stuff.

If I had to use an older ISA nic, I would use a 5xx series one from 3COM. Though I don't care much for their PCI nics in a WinNT network.

I've never used an Adaptec nic.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

I amd innocent intel proven guilty