Best Network Switches 2021: Add Ports, Speed and Versatility to Your Network

Jul 9, 2021
Not enough attention to managed switches. Not having VLANs nowadays makes switch nearly useless.
Obviously going managed opens large can of worms (smart vs web vs app vs cloud vs fully managed).

PheckPhul

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
Not enough attention to managed switches. Not having VLANs nowadays makes switch nearly useless.
Obviously going managed opens large can of worms (smart vs web vs app vs cloud vs fully managed).

I take issue with your generalization that VLANs are a necessity. This review is broadly targeted, to include SOHO environments. No need for VLANs in the average household. a $20 desktop unmanaged gigabit switch will do most households. Most home users' most bandwidth-intensive use is streaming 4k content, which only uses about 25Mbps.

The greatest issue I take with this 'review' is its lack of any benchmarking or discussion of the aggregate bandwidth the backplanes of these switches can handle.

wbfox

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013
Another "Best Of" list made only with concern as to Amazon.com affiliate link availability. Where is the warning about the lack of warranty when buying Unifi hardware on amazon? Where are the test results? What were the criteria used? The questions go on forever.

Mar 5, 2022
Is this the "Best of 5" series? And we trust you sans test results?
What about those of us wanting to upgrade our family's capabilities with increased internet security and improved household bandwidth - 2.5 gbe is nice, but how about future proofing with 10 gbe?

I personally like managed switches, but I also have liked Tom's forums in the past. This is practically click bait. At least you discuss the heating issues of the ones you profiled!

You could go on several other forums and get a complete different list of preferred switches - why isn't this a regular Tom's Hardware complete comparison?

TRENDING THREADS