[SOLVED] Best Noctua CPU cooler for Ryzen 7 3700x in a Corsair Air 240 case?

May 8, 2020
There is very limited information on this build combination as the Ryzen 7 3700x is a fairly new CPU whilst this case is over 4 years old.

The maximum CPU cooler height for the Corsair Air 240 case is 120 mm. The CPU chip is a Ryzen 7 3700x which I will not be doing any overclocking on.

I am choosing a Noctua CPU cooler and from my research the best options that are available due to height restrictions are the Noctua NH-L12S, Noctua NH-D9L (with dual 92mm fan configuration) and the Noctua NH-L9a.

(I understand that the new Corsair 280x has superseded this Air 240 case. However, I purchased this case in 2018)

Any recommendations out of these CPU coolers would be highly appreciated!

Many thanks.

Solution
That won't fit though. The C14S height with the stock fan above the heatsink is 142mm. You said you only have clearance for 120mm.
Your only option is to mount the fan beneath the heatsink. This is why the C14S has 2 different height listings: 115 and 142mm.

This is what I will be doing. The decision is to get the C14S with the fan mounted underneath so that provides clearance of 115 mm. The stock fan that comes with the CPU cooler is a Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140 mm fan.

This leaves clearance of 40mm underneath the low profile C14S for RAM. The ram I have selected which is the LPX vengeance has a height of 34mm.
May 8, 2020
I guess you're considering this for lower noise over the 3700X's stock cooler? That's the most common reason to replace it.
According to Noctua, the NH-L12S and NH-D9L are tied and better than the NH-L9a: https://noctua.at/en/cpu/AMD_Ryzen_7_3700X
But you actually have another option: the NH-C14S. The fan can be mounted on either side of the heatsink.

Thank you @Phaaze88 and @bmockeg. From research, users are recommending the Noctua C14S with the addition of a Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fan mounted underneath.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you @Phaaze88 and @bmockeg. From research, users are recommending the Noctua C14S with the addition of a Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fan mounted underneath.
That won't fit though. The C14S height with the stock fan above the heatsink is 142mm. You said you only have clearance for 120mm.
Your only option is to mount the fan beneath the heatsink. This is why the C14S has 2 different height listings: 115 and 142mm.

Reactions: Karadjgne
May 8, 2020

This is what I will be doing. The decision is to get the C14S with the fan mounted underneath so that provides clearance of 115 mm. The stock fan that comes with the CPU cooler is a Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140 mm fan.

This leaves clearance of 40mm underneath the low profile C14S for RAM. The ram I have selected which is the LPX vengeance has a height of 34mm.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution