[SOLVED] Best noise/thermal performance case for 3900x

happymatei

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Hi,

I would like to buy a good ( not the most expensive ) case to accommodate a 3900x so that it has good airflow and not make a lot of noise.

I do not care about RGB, i just want it to be silent and cool.
The CPU cooling will be done by Noctua D15.

Extra options like front USB-C are most welcomed!

Thank you!

Solution
Both silence and cool doesn't really work all that well. Trying to do both is expensive, plus the build is going to lean more towards one or the other.
Silent builds prioritize noise levels, but cooling potential is limited.
Performance builds prioritize cooling, but may not be as quiet as a silent one.
Which one do you favor over the other?

I'd think a good start for a silent build would be one of be quiet!'s cases with a 280/360mm AIO for the cpu, and the Kraken G12 mounting kit + a 280/360mm AIO for the gpu.
Why the bigger AIOs? They'll allow you to run lower fan rpms while still keeping your hardware cool. The smaller ones, more often than not, aren't much better than the best air coolers.

For the performance end, the Meshify C...

happymatei

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Hi,

So i am thinking of going with a Fractal Meshify C and the DS-15 Noctua CPU cooler.

Also was thinking of putting 2 140mm Noctua fans as intake in front ( for CPU and GPU cooling ) and have the 2 stock fans to evacuate, one in the rear and one top over the cpu.

What do you think?

Thank you

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Both silence and cool doesn't really work all that well. Trying to do both is expensive, plus the build is going to lean more towards one or the other.
Silent builds prioritize noise levels, but cooling potential is limited.
Performance builds prioritize cooling, but may not be as quiet as a silent one.
Which one do you favor over the other?

I'd think a good start for a silent build would be one of be quiet!'s cases with a 280/360mm AIO for the cpu, and the Kraken G12 mounting kit + a 280/360mm AIO for the gpu.
Why the bigger AIOs? They'll allow you to run lower fan rpms while still keeping your hardware cool. The smaller ones, more often than not, aren't much better than the best air coolers.

For the performance end, the Meshify C setup you mention is already nice.

Solution

happymatei

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Thank you for answering!

I would like to avoid water cooling and because of videos from GN ( you introduced me to it in another thread i've opened a couple of weeks ago ) i was thinking of going with Meshify C and just lower the RPM on the 4 fans i've mentioned.

Would that work?