Question Best NVMe cooling solution so far (personally)

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
Wanted to chill my controller while keeping the NAND chips toasty...
Any advice on further improvement?

l2uRfo0.jpg

Last edited:

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
'further improvement' would require knowing where it is now.
Is there an actual problem?
it is under the GPU fan shroud... even though the GPU is not blowing air into the SSD, airflow is somewhat restricted by the fan shroud and the PCB. Not an actual problem but when I first saw red temperature on the CDI (forgot the exact number though) I decided to take it out and do something..

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
Well, that's a thing... at least the little copper heatsink is over the correct area where the ASIC controller is.
Gonna want to peel off the THERMAL sticker though, or it's kinda pointless.
I thought about peeling it, then I found this article

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I saw that article plus others and still went through with it on a 970 Pro. It was slightly productive, but I sated my curiosity.
Pulled the sticker off, and applied NT-H2 only on the controller. Should be more effective on those Gen 4 NVMes.

What you've done in the pic isn't much different with cpu and gpu cooling: cpu cooling has more 'layers', so cooling efficiency is reduced compared with gpu.
You added an extra layer here, via that thermal pad.

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
I saw that article plus others and still went through with it on a 970 Pro. It was slightly productive, but I sated my curiosity.
Pulled the sticker off, and applied NT-H2 only on the controller. Should be more effective on those Gen 4 NVMes.

What you've done in the pic isn't much different with cpu and gpu cooling: cpu cooling has more 'layers', so cooling efficiency is reduced compared with gpu.
You added an extra layer here, via that thermal pad.
I think the point of the linked article is that those layers do affect cooling efficiency but the lost heat transfer rate is negligible compared to the difference between with and without a heatsink. Which makes sense because the conduction is so low with air. Anything that is touching the chip is like million times better than air in terms of conducting heat. Even if it is a piece of paper, still million times better than air.