News Best of CES 2022: The Most Innovative Hardware Coming Soon

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Good list.

Best GPU is an APU though...

Was gonna say something about that but, after thinking about how expensive discrete GPUs are, I have to agree.

Really though, might need updating once we actually get 6500XT and Intel Arc reviews. Maybe. If we can actually buy them at MSRP.

Good list.

Best GPU is an APU though...

Was gonna say something about that but, after thinking about how expensive discrete GPUs are, I have to agree.

Really though, might need updating once we actually get 6500XT and Intel Arc reviews. Maybe. If we can actually buy them at MSRP.
We "argued" a bit about whether we should point to a specific dedicated graphics card, and I made the case that I was more excited to see what Rembrandt could do than I am to see RTX 3050, RX 6500 XT, or Intel Arc. Just the fact that AMD increased CU counts by 50% and finally pushed out an RDNA2 iGPU solution makes me at least a bit excited. I still suspect the RTX 3050 will end up as the "best" of these lower tier GPUs, though. 🙃

Reactions: shady28

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
"Best PC Case: CyberpowerPC Kinetic Series"
I get it, it's a novelty cool thing; but sorry this is a fail. Purposely blocking air, just so you can open it up once the lack of airflow creates heat issues is not a good design. If somehow this allowed for quieter performance you could excuse it, but that does not seem to be a feature. Better and quieter fans with an open mesh front would be less expensive and more reliable.

Jan 7, 2022
Anything from LIAN LI at CES 2022?

I've been waiting since last year's CES for Lian Li to FINALLY release their updated v3000x SUPER CASE !!! :D

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
"Best PC Case: CyberpowerPC Kinetic Series"
I get it, it's a novelty cool thing; but sorry this is a fail. Purposely blocking air, just so you can open it up once the lack of airflow creates heat issues is not a good design. If somehow this allowed for quieter performance you could excuse it, but that does not seem to be a feature. Better and quieter fans with an open mesh front would be less expensive and more reliable.

It's not going to close the vents when you're in the middle of a 4 hour render. You don't need F5 winds blowing through your case when it is idling or you're surfing the internet. The case isn't an airtight coffin when the front closes. There are still plenty of the holes in the case to pull air in even if the front is blocked. Closing the vents will reduce dust inside the case and reduce noise.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
You don't need F5 winds blowing through your case when it is idling or you're surfing the internet.
That why there are variable speed fans controlled by temperature sensors and related software in a quality build.

The case isn't an airtight coffin when the front closes. There are still plenty of the holes in the case to pull air in even if the front is blocked.
I never said it was airtight, just that there is no need to purposely and needlessly block the airflow. Airflow is a good thing as evidenced by when the case decides to open the vents to allow airflow.

Closing the vents will reduce dust inside the case and reduce noise.
To reduce dust we use mesh vents. . I see no evidence or claim that it reduces noise. Just an assumption.

Again, I get the cool look, but functionally not a winner.