News Best of CES 2023: Tech to Look Forward To

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I like the look of those Hyte Y40 cases. They've got clean lines and no gaudy gamer bling. The flat motherboard is nice too, but I would think it'd make more sense to have the motherboard rotated 90 degrees for a top-exhaust configuration. That should address the airflow concerns and allow more visibility of the components.

Any chance Tom's could take a closer look at the Asus x13 and x16? Really curious which configurations are planned for USA release and how the stylus performs compared to other 2-in-1 devices.

I like the look of those Hyte Y40 cases. They've got clean lines and no gaudy gamer bling. The flat motherboard is nice too, but I would think it'd make more sense to have the motherboard rotated 90 degrees for a top-exhaust configuration. That should address the airflow concerns and allow more visibility of the components.

Any chance Tom's could take a closer look at the Asus x13 and x16? Really curious which configurations are planned for USA release and how the stylus performs compared to other 2-in-1 devices.
Might grab a huge y40 myself. Or a fractal north

DonQuixoteIII

Commendable
Aug 16, 2021
The word "Best" in a title just turns me off. Who the hell are you to tell ME what is best for my use-case? Such assinine pretentiousnous.

OK, EVERYBODY does it. But there MUST be a better way to title these things. How about "pre-eminent"? Similar to, but does not imply that your opinion is THE authority.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
the Swift Pro PG248QP pushes the envelope all the way to 540Hz (OC). That’s stepping into new territory for gaming monitors and pushing the boundaries of what current graphics cards can output (not to mention what the human eye can perceive).
A key benefit of high refresh rate displays is realistic motion blur. If a fast-moving object streaks across the screen while your eyes are focusing elsewhere, a high-refresh rate display will show the object as a streak. With a low refresh rate, you get a few images of the object that will probably look disconnected.

I'm not saying we need 540 Hz displays, though. Just pointing out that there are benefits of refresh rates beyond what the eye can individually process.

missingxtension

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I have a Dell TN monitor, and it's actually pretty good. IPS and VA are better, but some of the newer TN monitors have pretty good viewing angles and image quality
Not to mention the burn in problems that oled has brought with it, the lowest brightness is almost unbearable in a dark setting, and expense.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not to mention the burn in problems that oled has brought with it,
LG has been saying they've reduced the burn-in issues with their TVs. I presume that's why OLED computer monitors are finally happening now, after all these years! A few years ago, Dell had announced one, only to cancel it before it ever went on sale.

I do wonder how bad it still is. I don't believe they solved it 100%.

Apr 26, 2023
The interesting thing from my perspective, the article for each of the entries says "THE BEST"... but as far as I can tell the OP has never actually tested and reviewed the equipment so saying "TH BEST" is one hell of a claim and if I remember rightly the reviews of the ASUS OLED that was mentioned as being "the best" absolutely trounced it for all the firmware bugs that made it almost impossible to use.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The interesting thing from my perspective, the article for each of the entries says "THE BEST"... but as far as I can tell the OP has never actually tested and reviewed the equipment so saying "TH BEST" is one hell of a claim
Since pretty much the dawn of time, it's been a standard thing for there to be "Best of Show" awards at tradeshows for virtually, every industry that has them. Seriously, pick an industry that has a big tradeshow and you'll probably find one or more "Best of Show" awards being given to products demo'd at it.

I think Tom's is assuming readers are smart enough to understand that these awards are given based on what's demo'd, and that actual products can differ substantially from tradeshow demos. If not, then there'd be no need ever to review any products seen at a show!

Status
Not open for further replies.