Best Of Computex 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The fans will also come with a great deal of efficiency, boasting 40.26 CFM of airflow at 1400 RPM, while still maintaining a whisper quiet 2.7 dBA of noise."

Typographical error? I don't think the fans will operate at 1,400 rpm and maintain a whisper quiet 2.7 dBA.

BruhLovin

Commendable
May 1, 2016
"The fans will also come with a great deal of efficiency, boasting 40.26 CFM of airflow at 1400 RPM, while still maintaining a whisper quiet 2.7 dBA of noise."

Typographical error? I don't think the fans will operate at 1,400 rpm and maintain a whisper quiet 2.7 dBA.
Contrary to the claim, I think it's possible but up until I see more reviews and get one from my own. I wont buy it yet.

Protonwrangler

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015
BruhLoving, it's not really possible to make devices with moving parts that quiet or even measure noise levels that low (6-10dB is what the very best can manage)

I looked at the original article and it says "all while remaining at a reasonably quiet 23.7 dBA" That 21 dB difference is 100x the noise power.

OOPS

My first comment about 2.7 dBA refers to the In-Win Aurora fans.

My second comment about 17 - 37 dBA refers to the Corsair magnetic levitation fans.

The user comment section does not appear to be separate for each article.

BruhLoving, it's not really possible to make devices with moving parts that quiet or even measure noise levels that low (6-10dB is what the very best can manage)

I looked at the original article and it says "all while remaining at a reasonably quiet 23.7 dBA" That 21 dB difference is 100x the noise power.

It's not the moving parts that the issue. If you are talking about fans, maglev can be used so that the bearing is friction-less. The air moving is what makes noise on high end fans.

Krusher

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
For those who made it to Computex, did you see anything regarding the networking Nbase-T standard coming to WiFi routers, switches, or NICs in the near future? I read something about ASUS's desktop 10Gbase-T switch in the past and the Nbase-T alliance was supposed to be there. Wired LAN for the consumer seems to be getting behind and was hoping trade shows like this one might have some positive news finally for consumer hardware. Thanks!

To me, it doesn't seem as though there was a lot to be excited about at this years event. Unless they're saving the best for later, for some unknown reason, I didn't see too much that was terribly new or interesting. The Noctua 200mm fan was about the most exciting thing I saw worth looking forward to. Or maybe a couple of the upcoming power supplies. Yawn. Oh well, maybe the next event will bring more worth talking about.

Zen makes a debut - it's like spotting bigfoot or nessie lmao. Call me old fashioned but I think that case used with the asus avalon system was far sexier than the cylindrical case or the id cooling stream.

To me the stream just looks like a slightly modified inwin d frame, like someone had an old bike laying around they decided to repurpose. I'd be afraid of going to pick up that chassis and accidentally catching the cooling tubes sitting just below the cross member rather than the frame tube itself. Snap, leaking, tears.

BruhLovin

Commendable
May 1, 2016

Well how low can dBaA go? *Limbo chant* That part I got on the moving parts due maglev but I was more interested on how low can they make the sound of air movement more mute.

Hmmm, not that much information really.
-AMD Zen, sure but we know little about it.
-Optical keyboards... Maybe for raceing games but a wheel still beats it.
-Some odd cases? People have been doing better projects already.
-Project Avalon is interesting but we need a full review (wont be any good if it is significantly slower than your run of the mill mobo).

Everything else is sort of "why is this even here" for me.

I agree. With all of this. I'm not sure how that case got best mention over the Avalon. Honestly I'm rather disappointed with the offerings at this years event. Seems like manufacturers are getting lazier and lazier when it comes to looking for new ways to make products appealing. Either that or we've simply reached the pinnacle of what can be envisioned, which I refute, because I see features and aesthetics added by case modders all the time that cast a pale light on what manufacturers are offering.

I think that applies to all the areas too. Lots of "we have this new tech", but we don't have any facts about it and we're not sure if or when it will ever be released. Great, so maybe just SHUT UP until you do. It's like those kinetic CPU coolers. We've been hearing about them for so long that by now nobody would buy one if they ever did figure the tech totally out, just because they're tired of hearing about it for so long with no new real advancements.

3ogdy

Distinguished
I must be missing something, although I'm not sure what:
These brand new fans shown off at Computex 2016 are described as being super-duper efficient, but then figures say 40CFM at 1400RPM and 27dBA. (assuming 2.7dBa was a typographical error, otherwise that would be an earth-shattering performance-to-noise ratio)

So, Noctua's NH-D15 spec page states:
82.4CFM at 1500RPM and 24.5dBA.
Out of the three areas that could be improved upon, they doubled the cooling performance for 100RPM more and dropped the noise by 2.5dBA at the same time.

What am I missing here? The daisy-chaining part and the individual lighting control?

NightHaveN

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
About the Asrock Hyper CV OC, I will only said...

Fool me once, blame on you.
Fool me twice, blame on me.

I will not fall for it twice in a row.

chenw

Honorable
The Seasonic PSU depicted in the photographs is still in prototype stage, there isn't any set date for that particular line of PSU yet.

Also, disappointed that not a single monitor is on there. 4k 144hz monitor, 1080p 240hz or 2560x1080 200hz monitors are all pretty good shows.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

13394040_1134634163226418_1614443122769453327_n.jpg

G.Skill outsourced these jobs, as if there weren't any local talent to consider. The shame!

3ogdy

Distinguished

That trashcan is less useful than the one in my room. Oh, and even when mine's full of trash, somehow it still ends up having less trash than their scaM Pro(paganda). Way to go, CrApple. I guess one's products have to represent the company and the general thinking behind whatever they try to do - hey, at least companies improved it a bit. The Cryorig trash must smell a bit better now when thrown inside that trashcan.

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
"Intel brought 3D XPoint to Computex 2016, but it did not bring any concrete specifications along with it. The company has taken heavy flak from many sides for its vague marketing tactics, which rely largely upon obfuscated claims, such as “1000X the performance and 1000x more endurance than NAND, and 10x the density of DRAM.” In spite of the claims, the company refuses to reveal any basic information, such as performance, endurance and price, or even what type of memory technology 3D Xpoint is using." Could this be another debacle like RamBus all over again?

chenw

Honorable

Actually I am going to wager that they are doing it for the US/EU crowd. I overheard the showgirls talking amongst themselves, and they sound Eastern European.

Not entirely unsurprised to be honest, G.Skill doesn't focus nearly as much in Taiwanese markets as they do abroad, I cannot find G.Skill products at all unless I look really hard for it (EG going out of town to Taipei, or going on line), their RAM was by far the biggest surprise absence from my local stores (the other big brand is Corsair, but that is far less of a surprise).

Either that, or the others already hogged all the show girls... (I know Asus and Gigabyte uses local ones, the Asus ones even speak English as they had to demonstrate Zenbo).

Seems we think alike. Those were my two favorite picks as well. :)

For those of you asking why the Project Avalon case didn't get picked as "Best Case" over the other options, it is because the Project Avalon case is a part of Project Avalon, and it doesn't really work with anything except Project Avalon right now. If the company made a version that works with conventional hardware but maintained, then we would have considered it for the best case position. As it does not, however, it didn't seem appropriate to give more than a single award to a proof-of-concept prototype PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.