Question Best option for underclocking?

May 11, 2021
Hi everyone my Asus Strix 2080 OC is driving me mad lately, the fans are way too loud. I already tried the "quiet" bios which is not really quiet for me.
The fans are going 3k+ rpm which is super loud...
For some reason the GPU runs hotter then it should in my opinion so i decided to underclock the card to achieve better temps.
I installed MSI afterburner to do the job.

So here comes my question:
I could lower the power limit, the core clock or the memory clock, which option is best for cooler temps?

I am really interested which way to go here, i assumed a lower power limit does the job, but why is there even the option to reduce core clock then?

PS: i also ordered some Noctua thermal paste
PSS: The chassis temps are completely OK!

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
How about enabling vsynch putting it at 70 fps? That should limit the card enough and you'd still get decent performances. Unless you're one of those gamers that play competitive games and likes to have the highest refresh rate possible. And the best thing to lower temps generally is undervolt.

May 11, 2021
How about enabling vsynch putting it at 70 fps? That should limit the card enough and you'd still get decent performances. Unless you're one of those gamers that play competitive games and likes to have the highest refresh rate possible. And the best thing to lower temps generally is undervolt.
My monitor with 144hz and gsync would not be happy about that. :p
OK so you say the best option is neither of the ones i listed but actually lowering the core voltage?
Is reducing the power limit not doing the same?