Question Best options for a 24GB+ non-gaming graphics card?

Apr 19, 2023
I'm running a Windows 10 art station with a 3060 with 12GB of ram.

I'm looking at upgrading it to a 24GB card, what are my best options?

I'm using a variety of software but the common denominator is that quantity is significantly more important than quality or speed when it comes to memory. Hence I'm using a 12gb 3060, not the faster TI version with lower memory. Things like ray tracing aren't really a factor as pretty much any card with 24GB of memory will be overkill for what I do.

I'm ideally looking for something outside of gaming space, so not the 4090 and so on.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'm running a Windows 10 art station with a 3060 with 12GB of ram.

I'm looking at upgrading it to a 24GB card, what are my best options?

I'm using a variety of software but the common denominator is that quantity is significantly more important than quality or speed when it comes to memory. Hence I'm using a 12gb 3060, not the faster TI version with lower memory. Things like ray tracing aren't really a factor as pretty much any card with 24GB of memory will be overkill for what I do.

I'm ideally looking for something outside of gaming space, so not the 4090 and so on.

The least expensive non-gaming GPU with 24 GB of VRAM is likely something like the Quadro P6000.

Reactions: geofelt

jahu00

Reputable
Nov 22, 2019
Used Quadro P6000 appears to be the cheapest option. New ones appear to be out of stock, but even if they were in stock, you could probably buy 2 and a half 4090 for the price ;)

Maybe a used K80, but the few I've seen online at decent price were also faulty. New ones cost similarly to a new P6000.

There is also W6800 32GB, but it costs as much as a RX7900 XTX which already comes with 24GB and (depending who you ask) is 3-4 times more powerful. Where I live, retailers appear to have this brand new in stock. This card could be attractive if you can buy used one for cheap.

AMD recently released W7800 with 32GB of VRAM. I think it's slightly below RX 7900 XT in performance, but is more expensive than 4090. XTX can compete with 4090 thanks to price, but W7800 has only VRAM as selling point (unless it also has the computation equivalent of Crossfire, but it's useless with just one card). This card is probably difficult to buy as regular retailers don't sell it.

There is also Radeon Instinct MI50 32GB, but it's very outdated and has no output ports (maybe one of it's cousins has them). You can probably only get this used.

There are not that many options when it comes to cards with 24GB (or more) VRAM. Other than the ones above, you have RX 7900 XTX, RTX 3090 and RTX 4090. With a bit of luck you might be able to grab an RTX 3090 at a discount or get a used one for a good price. XTX is good option if you want a brand new card and 4090 if you want your VRAM with extra performance.

If you could get 2 AMD PRO cards with Infinity Fabric support (and necessary connectors), each with 12 or 16 GB VRAM, you could in theory have one GPU utilize all of it. I'm not sure if any support on MOBO is necessary (unlike Crossfire).