[SOLVED] Best order to upgrade components to a minimum standard gaming PC?

Psycho Savager

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Gaming is the only resource-heavy process that I use my computer for and my current build has served me well for the past 6 years. I recently bought Devil May Cry 5, and although the game runs just about fine, my system does not actually meet the minimum specs and there is noticeable lag at times.

I'm not wanting to do a total overhaul unless it proves necessary. I'll get another 2GB of RAM as that's cheap, but what's the best order in which to upgrade my CPU, GPU, MB?

Current system:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 GHz
MB: Asrock 880GM-LE-FX AM3+
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB DDR5
RAM: Crucial DDR3 6 GB
PSU: Corsair HX520W

Devil May Cry 5 minimum (recommended) requirements:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 ( i7-3770) or AMD FX-6300 (FX-9590)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 with 2GB Video RAM (GTX 1060 with 6GB VRAM) or AMD Radeon R7 260x with 2GB Video RAM (RX 480 with 8GB VRAM)
RAM: 8 GB (8 GB)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
You could drop down to a Ryzen 3 1200 for now so you can get a GPU also, then upgrade the CPU later if you want. But, you may not want to have to mess with that.
Any opinions on the motherboards I listed? I just want to make sure I haven't done something stupid like pick one that won't work with the CPU. It's not like I've ever bought a computer part only to discover I didn't research enough and discover it won't physically attach to other components. Never.
No, they are all about the same as the one I listed. Pick whichever B450 motherboard you like. Only thing to know is that B450 might require a BIOS update if you get a Ryzen 3000 series CPU. But with a 2000 series CPU it will work out of the box. BIOS updates typically...

Psycho Savager

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
No budget limit as such, but right now DMC5 is the only game I have that struggles to run smoothly, so I don't want to be spending huge amounts as I don't know if I'll be buying any other resource-heavy games soon.

Last edited:
Actually, that motherboard is going to be problematic. The PCI-E x 16 slots are positioned such that my graphics card will cover the slots next to either of them.
I chose the MicroATX because that's what you have now. Here's one that fits an M.2 slot under where the GPU would hang over, but you can still use it.

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($88.98 @ Newegg)

Reactions: Psycho Savager
If you are willing to look at used parts, I recently sold an rx 470 4gb card on eBay for just over 50 dollars. So there are some deals. That 470 would wipe the floor with the 750ti. So if you did the above build and could score a deal like a used rx 470 or 570, that would be a huge pick me up until you could get a better gpu later.

Reactions: Psycho Savager

Psycho Savager

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
I'll get a GPU if needs be, but I think MrNiceGuy is right that I should be upgrading my MB and CPU first as they're going to be incompatible with modern components in the near future.

Last edited:

Psycho Savager

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Any opinions on the motherboards I listed? I just want to make sure I haven't done something stupid like pick one that won't work with the CPU. It's not like I've ever bought a computer part only to discover I didn't research enough and discover it won't physically attach to other components. Never.

You could drop down to a Ryzen 3 1200 for now so you can get a GPU also, then upgrade the CPU later if you want. But, you may not want to have to mess with that.
No, they are all about the same as the one I listed. Pick whichever B450 motherboard you like. Only thing to know is that B450 might require a BIOS update if you get a Ryzen 3000 series CPU. But with a 2000 series CPU it will work out of the box. BIOS updates typically require a different CPU to administer. Some boards support updating without a CPU, but do your research if you decide to get a Ryzen 3000 CPU.

Solution