Best OS for a 2007 Gaming Laptop

xBlackmagic20x

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
I recently bought a laptop for school and wanted to wipe my old gaming laptop and install a new OS on it. Currently it has Windows Vista on it. I want to know if Windows 7 is going to run good on it or not. Here are the specs of the laptop. I wouldn't be using this laptop to game, mostly test things out like VM Ware, Linux and other stuff in my Information Technology curriculum.

Dell XPS M1530
Intel Core Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.40 GHz
4GB Ram
32 bit OS
Vista Home Premium SP 2
Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT

Solution
I have a 2009 era low end Toshiba laptop with Win 10 Pro. 2GB RAM, cheesy CPU.
Absolutely no issues. Win 10 seems to be slightly better than 7 was.

VM's on yours? Yes, it will probably run, but do NOT expect anything great from that CPU and 4GB total.
Well, Windows 7 will run on it. Virtualization- that's another question. VMs are very stressful on the CPU and RAM, so at the very least I would try a RAM upgrade. Make sure virtualization extensions are enabled in BIOS. And seriously consider picking up a basic FX build if you do anything more serious (low end Intel chips are awful at virtualization compared to AMD, due to core count and virtualization instructions.)

TurkeyDinner

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016

If your going to use virtualization software I would definitely recommend a CPU with a few more cores.

xBlackmagic20x

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

So if I buy Windows 7 64 bit professional for it, as long as I don't do any vitalization on it, it should be good?

I installed Windows 10 on a Dell 1720 (2007), which is specced pretty similar to yours. Amazingly, Windows had all the necessary drivers for everything to work. Previous to that, it had Windows 7 and finding drivers for the certain things, like the wifi/bluetooth module proved to be a hassle and Dell is no help since they stopped supporting it years ago. I think you'll be in the same situation since Dell never supported Windows 7 for your model and there are many reports of problems if you Google Dell XPS 1530 Windows 7 drivers.

xBlackmagic20x

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

so windows 10 would run better on it?

USAFRet

Titan
I have a 2009 era low end Toshiba laptop with Win 10 Pro. 2GB RAM, cheesy CPU.
Absolutely no issues. Win 10 seems to be slightly better than 7 was.

VM's on yours? Yes, it will probably run, but do NOT expect anything great from that CPU and 4GB total.

Solution