Best OS for this older laptop

World Class

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
Hello, I am looking for the best OS for a Dell Latitude D630. I want to be able to run some older games, but also, some newer ones, and some newer programs. I also want the best performance. It can run from Windows 2000 all the way up to 10. What would be the best version. Specs are a 2.00 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB DDR2 RAM, Intel GM965 Chipset.

Solution
I'd go with Win7. Some machines like it better; in my experience 7 seems to be a little happier on 2GB of RAM than Vista is. 7 will also be supported until a later date, and doesn't have some of the day-to-day annoyances that plague Vista. Disable some UI effects and desktop performance should be just fine. Lots of folks don't like putting upgrade money into something so old, but if you're set on using it, installing an SSD will make life a little nicer, particularly since you may be dipping into the swap file quite a bit with that amount of RAM.

I've got 8.1 on a desktop with similar specs to your laptop, and it seems to do okay, but I don't use it much and can't speak to how much UI tweaking is possible if it runs poorly.
I have one D630 with Vista, and three with Windows 8.1. The Win 8.1 laptops are awaiting installation of Windows 10. Others have downloaded and installed Windows 10 on their Dell D630 without any issues.

Regarding running older games depends on the games. Some games that ran on Vista may not rum on Windows 10.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
I'd go with Win7. Some machines like it better; in my experience 7 seems to be a little happier on 2GB of RAM than Vista is. 7 will also be supported until a later date, and doesn't have some of the day-to-day annoyances that plague Vista. Disable some UI effects and desktop performance should be just fine. Lots of folks don't like putting upgrade money into something so old, but if you're set on using it, installing an SSD will make life a little nicer, particularly since you may be dipping into the swap file quite a bit with that amount of RAM.

I've got 8.1 on a desktop with similar specs to your laptop, and it seems to do okay, but I don't use it much and can't speak to how much UI tweaking is possible if it runs poorly.

Solution