[SOLVED] Best outdoor ap for large yard?

daimonwilcox

Reputable
Oct 10, 2016
I have quite a large yard i want to be able to share my internet with my family who is about 200 yards we both live in Duplexes but have neighbors ive had a loco m5 connected to a repeater inside the front door ive got a rooftop antenna for tv it has los to where i need but id rather be able to cover my yard and or if needed connect to a different ap if possible i have 360 mbs from comcast with unlimited data on their xb6 modem due to the brick walls connection basically drops out as soon as im outside of either place.

Solution
The problem is going to be the end devices at that distance. You can use things like directional AP to somewhat boast the distance but I doubt you are going to get 200 yards. You will need mulitple AP since the beam is somewhat narrow. The problem generally is that portable device like cell phone use low power transmitters to save on battery and they have very small antenna. The signal from the AP may be strong enough to reach the end device but the device does not have enough power to transmit it back.

Point to point It seem you have already found the solution. Loco m5 on each end with clear line of sight will work great at that distance. Maybe send it across point to point and put outdoor AP on both ends in addition...

daimonwilcox

Reputable
Oct 10, 2016
I have quite a large yard i want to be able to share my internet with my family who is about 200 yards we both live in Duplexes but have neighbors ive had a loco m5 connected to a repeater inside the front door ive got a rooftop antenna for tv it has los to where i need but id rather be able to cover my yard and or if needed connect to a different ap if possible i have 360 mbs from comcast with unlimited data on their xb6 modem due to the brick walls connection basically drops out as soon as im outside of either place.
Edit: 1 im bad at grammar and am on a phone.

The problem is going to be the end devices at that distance. You can use things like directional AP to somewhat boast the distance but I doubt you are going to get 200 yards. You will need mulitple AP since the beam is somewhat narrow. The problem generally is that portable device like cell phone use low power transmitters to save on battery and they have very small antenna. The signal from the AP may be strong enough to reach the end device but the device does not have enough power to transmit it back.

Point to point It seem you have already found the solution. Loco m5 on each end with clear line of sight will work great at that distance. Maybe send it across point to point and put outdoor AP on both ends in addition to the loco point to point.

In any case ubiquiti has many outdoor AP that you can consider. They are cheaper than most commercial equipment but end to be more advanced than consumer grade equipment.

Solution