best overclocking motherboard?

mlsde886

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
what is the best intel overclocking board? sli or non sli system dont matter.

what is it the x38 or x48, the p35 or 45? the 780 ir 790i??? can someone explain to me from greatest to least the best and worst over clocking motherboards (graphic options dont matter , crossfire, sli, etc is irrelevant to my question)

hixy

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
ive got a P35 MB and it overclocks a E2180 from 1.8ghz to 3.0ghz with ease, ie stock cooling (FSB=320). Toms have done a review on it at the end of last year.

Getting a FSB of 520 as above is pretty damn good

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Forget about "best", there are plenty of boards with ample overclocking features and high stability such that the CPU, cooling, and memory to a lesser extent will make far more of a difference.

Focus instead on the budget and other features you need.

Also, getting a E2180 to 3GHz is nothing special, I'd have to think any board with overclocking features that can't do that is a rare terrible product. These days 4.5GHz is a more realistic target and maybe the same board can do that too, it's just not telling us anything that it can hit 3GHz.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Then you'd be wrong. Any modern 45nm CPU that can't do 4GHz is an overclocking failure if the other elements are in place. 4.5 IS a realistic target even if you get one that falls a bit short. I guess you don't have both of the things I mentioned, the right modern processor and enough cooling. Most people don't bother spending enough to get that level of cooling and I can't necessarily blame them for not wanting to go to such extremes but that doesn't make it hard. Even a beginner can easily hit over 3.5GHz without changing stock cooling and randomly picking a board with basic o'c settings.

I would agree that 4.5GHz is a realistic target for an overclock for 45nm procs, but a realistic target on the higher end of things with all things considered. Taking a proc with a 9 or higher multiplier (which is most if not all 45nm procs) and hitting 4GHz should not even be a question, especially with the P45 chipset.

Consider an E8500 with a 9.5 multi, you'd need to hit 475 on the fsb to get a 4.5GHz overclock. Given that some mobos are reporting over 500 on the fsb and running stable, 4.5GHz is realistic...but as you said, the other elements HAVE to be in place...the biggest factor IMO is your choice of memory, reading these forums I consistently get the impression that people who are dissapointed with the OC speeds don't do the research to ensure their memory choice is on the mobo's QVL list.