Best P4 Motherboard???

AfroGeek1

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Hey Geeks! I'm buying a P4 system today. I'm slightly confused about which MB to go with. The MSI 6370 seems to be the only board that will run dual DDR at 333+ . However , I heard that it was not a very good MB and that it was that stable(could be a myth). My next choice would be the Gigabyte, because I can overclock in windows. The third would be ASUS P4G8X, but it seems to have nothing special about it . Please let me know what you think. If there is a MB out there that perfomrs better than the for mentioned, please let me know.

OH Yeah..if anyone has has run dual DDR at 333+ on these boards, PLEASE let me know your results.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Go to <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mb/index.html" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mb/index.html</A> and look at their latest 3 reviews. It looks like the MSI 655 Max-FISR is the fastest P4 board around.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

AfroGeek1

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
You're right. It looks like the MSI has perfomred the best. I let this salesman talk me into a Gigabyte. I just finished installing it. It works good...as long as you don't install it in a case. I'm sure alot of us have had to deal with this crap. now I have to get some plastic washers and hope that solves my problem. The salesman did urge me to get this Gigabyte. However, I was sort of leaning that way. One reason is that it had a seemingly better Sata raid controller (Silicon graphics). But, if those specs are real on that review. Maybe I should have gone with MSI.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I prefer the layout of the Gigabyte board, the SINXP1394 has 4 IDE ports, while the MSI 655 Max-FISR has only three.

Anyway, if it works outside the case, but not inside the case, the board is probably being grounded. Are you ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN there are no more mounting pads/pods/studs then there are holes in the board?

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>