[SOLVED] Best parts for partner's PC?

paradoxeternal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
My partner is starting grad school soon, and after using my desktop for the past couple years, wants a setup like that for her own. I have put together this list of parts for the PC I'm going to build her, but looking over it, I can't help but feel it may be overpowered for her uses, and therefore maybe more expensive than we need. My main question is if it's worth it to replace the Ryzen 5 3600 with the Ryzen 5 3400g, and remove the graphics card as well, and save $150. The motherboard seems expensive, but prices seem to have risen recently, and there may be something cheaper out there that still takes an M.2 SSD. She is mostly using it for: ArcGIS, Office productivity (Word, Excel, etc.), Twitch streams (for crafting, not for games), and playing The Sims. The parts I've picked are below, and I've answered the questions from the "How to ask for New Build or Upgrade Advice" sticky thread. We want to keep the case to mATX to conserve office space.

Using these parts (purchasing from a mix of newegg and microcenter) the total would come out to $800 before a monitor or OS (we have a keyboard and mouse).

Approximate purchase date: this week (next 3-4 days)

Budget range: $700 - $1000 before shipping

System usage from most to least important: ArcGIS, Office productivity (Word, Excel, etc.), Twitch streams (for crafting, not for games), playing The Sims.

Are you buying a monitor? Yes

Do you need to buy the OS: Yes (We're buying a copy of windows pro)

Parts Preference: None

Overclocking: No

Monitor resolution: 1080p

Solution
You certainly could use a 3400g, you'll just need to increase the max amount of ram that the igpu can use. Argis varies on how intensive it is. It can use up to 12 threads and 32gb+ ram sometimes. But it can also use less then 4 threads, 8gb ram, and 1 gb vram.

For streaming, obs takes a lot of threads, the 3400g should be fine if it's just using a camera and no other cpu intensive applications.

I'd skip that asus, the b550 asus budget boards are hot garbage. The gigabyte b550m ds3h performs quite well for its budget. If you go for a 3400g, you'll need a b450/b450 max, or x570 board like this. B550 doesn't support second gen(3400g is second gen despite the name).

For arcgis, 8gb is enough, but if you go heavy on the maps...
You certainly could use a 3400g, you'll just need to increase the max amount of ram that the igpu can use. Argis varies on how intensive it is. It can use up to 12 threads and 32gb+ ram sometimes. But it can also use less then 4 threads, 8gb ram, and 1 gb vram.

For streaming, obs takes a lot of threads, the 3400g should be fine if it's just using a camera and no other cpu intensive applications.

I'd skip that asus, the b550 asus budget boards are hot garbage. The gigabyte b550m ds3h performs quite well for its budget. If you go for a 3400g, you'll need a b450/b450 max, or x570 board like this. B550 doesn't support second gen(3400g is second gen despite the name).

For arcgis, 8gb is enough, but if you go heavy on the maps, 16gb is better. I like 2x8gb 3200 g.skill flare x . You can go 32gb as well, but I'd opt just to have some space free on the nvme drive.

The chosen psu is very good, max power draw from the system would only be ~350w, no complaints. You can certainly go cheaper if you so desire.

You can cheap out on the case a bit, you don't need to, but since your components are on the light side I wouldn't be concerned.

The gtx 1650 super is faster and only ~$15 more, but considering the use, it may be unneeded.

Newegg doesn't accept returns for dead pixels anymore(so I've heard), so if you buy a monitor, don't get it from newegg.

Solution

paradoxeternal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

For arcgis, 8gb is enough, but if you go heavy on the maps, 16gb is better. I like 2x8gb 3200 g.skill flare x . You can go 32gb as well, but I'd opt just to have some space free on the nvme drive.

The chosen psu is very good, max power draw from the system would only be ~350w, no complaints. You can certainly go cheaper if you so desire.

You can cheap out on the case a bit, you don't need to, but since your components are on the light side I wouldn't be concerned.

The gtx 1650 super is faster and only ~$15 more, but considering the use, it may be unneeded.

Newegg doesn't accept returns for dead pixels anymore(so I've heard), so if you buy a monitor, don't get it from newegg.

Thank you for the response! I will talk with her some more about either going with the 3400g or the 3600 with the 1650. Even if we stick with the 3600 we'll go with that Gigabyte board. That RAM and PSU also look great.