Best PC Builds (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordConrad

Distinguished
What's with all the SLI in the VR builds? I have heard from multiple sources that existing VR headsets cannot take advantage of SLI. If this is true then SLI on a VR machine is just a waste of money.

logainofhades

Titan
Congrats to all the winners. It's a shame that the new CX550m wasn't out, when we were selecting parts. I would have used that, instead, for Broken Frames. The B2 750 is a great unit, but more than that system really needs.

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
Anything with less than 500 GB of storage shouldn't even be considered.
The $500 one, although a good build, should have more storage. Yes, a SSD is better than a HHD, but you'll get windows and like three games before that fills up.

@Neowulf. You can add a secondary storage later for bulk files. Starting with an SSD let's you get the OS installed and your favorite game or two. There's also the cloud.

@Onus. It's an ARC-450. While I'm not a fan of any PSU rated less than 50C, I've built many super low budget builds with the ARC series and yet to hear of a problem. Its overkill anyway for pushing a lowly i3 and RX 460.

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016

You can, but I till find it pretty light, considering that the one for $750 used a HHD (and most of he others, despite having significantly larger budgets) and the quickly growing installation size of games.

You are correct, but the statement was that the $2,500 VR build uses a lower quality PSU relative to the $2,000 build. The B2 is a quality PSU, but it isn't on the same level as EVGA's P2 units based on Super Flower's Leadex design.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Yeah, I know that , but the statement was misleading and made it sound like it was poor quality.

I know it's not a Leadex , it's based on the Super Flower Golden Green platform which is still very good.

EVGA's P2 < And why no OTP protection on these.

lp231

Splendid
It would be nice to see the total number of votes for all the other builds, not just the winners.
As for the psu. So now bronze isn't automatically crap, and what's on the inside is more important? Last time or so, majority of nominated builds here had a platinum rated psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.