Best PCI or PCI Express Wireless Adapter for Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skimmerz

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Hello.
I am looking to buy a PCI or PCI Express card(whats the difference)
and would like to know what are some good reliable options.

Ethernet is out of the question due to the location of my gaming rig and the fact that I am stealing my neighbour's Wifi(just joking). My wireless router is just too far for an ethernet.

Don't mind paying that much for a fast and reliable option.

Any help would be great thanks!

Solution
As best I can tell, its just as good as an internal wireless connection, which is not as reliable as a physical connection, but will be fine 350 days of the year. Obviously better adapters can be had for more money.

Greatatlantic

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
As best I can tell, its just as good as an internal wireless connection, which is not as reliable as a physical connection, but will be fine 350 days of the year. Obviously better adapters can be had for more money.

Solution

Skimmerz

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013

Cool I'll check that out.

How would I check if my router is Dual Band?
Just look up the tech specs?

EDIT:- WLAN Interface:- Supports 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n (2.4 GHz)
Saw this on my router tech specs so I'm pretty sure it is single band.

Will a single band adapter still be just as good?

The only reason people need dual band equipment is if there is too much competition from neighbors on the 2.4 band and they need to move to the 5g band the performance is similar. The large problem with 5g is that it is blocked by walls easier so you generally get less distance/coverage in most houses....but this is also why your neighbors interfere less.

In your case it is a waste of money to buy dual band.

I tend to also like USB based ones. I used to recommend the internal cards because they were faster than USB ones but that was in the days before USB2 and USB3. Now I prefer USB because if the case blocks the signal or the computer is not in the best location you can move it easily with a cheap USB extension cable. With the internal cards your antenna are located right next to the metal case and the only way to move them is using microwave antenna cable which causes signal loss for every inch you add.

Skimmerz

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013

Thank you.
A lot of good information which cleared things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.