Question Best performance platform for older gaming

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I want to utilize all the components I currently have to put together a PC for older gaming. The CPU will be a Q6600.
Options are:
1.) Lenovo Thinkstation S10 6483 with 8gb PC8500E DDR3 ram and 650 watt stock PSU. I will have to try the bsel tape mod again as my first attempt showed 3ghz speed in BIOS, but CPU-Z shows a fluctuation between 1999.xx GHz and 2.37x.xx GHz, however it does show FSB of approx. 1333. Hmm.

2.) Nvidia nforce 680i LT sli with if I remember correctly 8 gb DDR2 PC6400 ram, and Seasonic 750 watt modular PSU.

Most likely the GPU that I will use for either machine will be an MSI GT 1030 Aero, DDR4 version. Would have been nice if I had gotten the DDR5 version.....oh well.

As I mentioned the bsel tape mod did not seem to work with the Thinkstation, and I am pretty sure I cannot overclock that OEM board. I thought maybe the 680i might be the best choice since I can overclock, but unfortunately am stuck with DDR2 memory.

Would appreciate any insight on this.

Thank you.

Why do you need to overclock the CPU for older games?
That was only necessary because people wanted to play newer games on those old chips.
Also what OS are you talking about, and again what old games, that would support or need the 1030 and 8Gb of ram?

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Thanks for the response.
Well I would be playing mostly older games like NFS underground 2, Most wanted 2005, but may want to try some newer games, (relatively speaking for me anyway), like Need for speed Heat, and NFS Payback.
Would be running most likely Windows 7 ultimate provided either Heat or Payback can even run on either of the 2 options with 7.
Thanks again.