[SOLVED] best placement of fans?

Sep 27, 2020
I know that front fans should be the intake, rear fan is the exhaust but what about the fans at the top and bottom of my case? What direction should they be? Also should the fan of my psu face upwards or down?

Solution
Yup got it for like $25 since i don't have budget left for a good case

B450m gaming gigabyte
Ryzen 5 3500x
Stock cooler
Sapphire nitro rx580
Ok, this is the best you can do with that equipment inside that chassis:
3x front intake
2x top exhaust
1x rear exhaust
Don't even bother with the bottom, as placing fans there won't actually help.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If you can't be bothered to test it yourself, then just follow the general, almost foolproof, recommendation:
Front to back, bottom to top airflow setup - if using a cpu tower cooler, do NOT place any top fans in front, but behind it instead, unless you want to prioritize gpu cooling.
iu

iu
I say almost, because while you literally can't go wrong with it, it's not the best in all chassis and hardware setups.

Reactions: Gigilnahotdog

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
PSU should be down.
Kind of need more into for your specific case, but generally you want the air to move across in one direction to get that good flow. Blowing from the front and the bottom would make a bunch of turbulence and probably not be as efficient. Front to rear flow is usually the best for getting cool air to all the components. An extra exhaust fan on the top would help with the natural convection of hot air rising.

Fans move air towards the motor, they might have arrows to indicate.

There are tons of different options and senarios depending on where and what components you have, but that should cover most typical builds.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yup got it for like $25 since i don't have budget left for a good case

B450m gaming gigabyte
Ryzen 5 3500x
Stock cooler
Sapphire nitro rx580
Ok, this is the best you can do with that equipment inside that chassis:
3x front intake
2x top exhaust
1x rear exhaust
Don't even bother with the bottom, as placing fans there won't actually help.

Solution