Question BEST portable gaming/working station (Laptop 17" + eGPU)

Jan 20, 2020
Good day!

I'm currently have a laptop Dell Alienware 17R2 with Graphics amplifier (1080ti inside) witch is my portable station, and also got a stationary PC what using at home and shift GPU and SSD to pc <=> laptop depending from my current location.

For now it's OK, but i got idea to scrap my old stationary PC and buy completely new portable gaming station (Laptop + eGPU + RTX 3080 ti when it will be avaliable) witch i could use during business trip in such state, and at home, just connecting to this set additional mouse, keyboard and 4K display.

Now i see 4 options for it:

Dell Alienware Area 51m + Dell Alienware Graphics Amplifier

Pros:

1) Maximum performance. Heart of this laptop is PC-designed CPU (9700K or 9900K, witch is also possible to exchange in future), also Alienware graphics amplifier is better than another eGPU due to PCIe x4 3.0 connection instead of Thunderbolt 3

Cons:
  1. One of the heaviest. 3.87kg laptop + 2 PSU bricks 2.16kg - total 5 KG...i plan to carry laptop with PSU in hand luggage during trips, so for me it's quite heavy - i got also additional stuff in my backpack;
  2. Standart keyboard on back - i don't like standart design of laptop keyboards, they're really not so comfortable if compare to a standart keyboards for PC;
  3. Thickness of laptop - if combine with keyboard on back, this is real disaster for hands. Got already expirience with my Alienware 17 R2, wich is also not so thick;
Asus ROG Zephyrus S GX701 + Asus XG Station Pro

Pros:

1. Very compact and lightweight. This the most compact laptop + eGPU set what i found, wich also big advantage during business trips. Weight is 2.64kg laptop + 0.62kg PSU;
  2. Keyboard design - located in front of laptop, wich the most comfortable for use and temperatures are pleasantly cool;
Cons:
  1. The worst performance... eGPU with Thunderbolt 3 loses to Alienware Graphics Amplifier, also laptop got pretty OK for now CPU i7-9750H, but idk if it will be enough in future to play games in combination with RTX 3080 ti on 4K 60 fps;
  2. Lack of ports - not too important, could extended with USB hub, but anyway, alienware amplifier gives 4 additional USB;
Dell Alienware m17 R2 + Dell Alienware Graphics Amplifier

Pros:

1. Compact and lightweigt. Not big difference between Zephyrus S GX701 in this things;
  2. Cheapest option. Don't need to buy eGPU, also price of this laptop starting from 1.4k $;
Cons:
  1. Performance. It's in middle between Area 51m and Zephyrus S - CPU are laptop-design like i7-9750H, but eGPU is good;
  2. Keyboard design - also located on back like on another laptops, but thikness of laptop is not so big, so mabye it would be OK in this case? I didn't tryed;
Asus ROG Mothership GZ700GX + Asus XG Station Pro

Pros:

1) Transformer. Possible to disassemble keyboard and use it like a wireless - really interesting feature, also when disassembled - all heat are generated far from hands;

Cons:
  1. Heavy like a hell. 4.8kg laptop + 1.7kg 2 PSU bricks = 6.5 KG. The worst option for transportation =(
  2. Performance are suffering - eGPU with Thunderbolt 3 and laptop-design CPU, so not big difference from Zephyrus S;
  3. Very rare and expensive - hard to found, price about 6.5k $;
P.S: for me GPU inside laptops is not so important, because it will be used with eGPU

Now i'm really confused what to buy, all this options are tearing between performance and comfort...some options are also interesting like Acer Predator Triton 700, but it got 15.6" screen.

Could you please suggest wich option you prefer to choose - mabye i lost some stuff from my attention?
Also please share your expirience in use of Laptop + eGPU if you got / were using it, or advice some another models?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Last edited:
Just buy a switch.

When you’re talking about moving around a bulky laptop With all those cables AND an EGPU enclosure you’re literally better off building a small ITX system. Remember the EGPU generally runs off Thunderbolt 3 and this has a limit of what PCIE 3.0 4x so any high end GPU is gonna be starved anyway. Just get a 3700X with the smallest 2080S in the smallest case you can find and you’ll probably be carrying less bulk. Just use whatever TV or monitor is available wherever you are.

Jan 20, 2020
Just buy a switch.

When you’re talking about moving around a bulky laptop With all those cables AND an EGPU enclosure you’re literally better off building a small ITX system. Remember the EGPU generally runs off Thunderbolt 3 and this has a limit of what PCIE 3.0 4x so any high end GPU is gonna be starved anyway. Just get a 3700X with the smallest 2080S in the smallest case you can find and you’ll probably be carrying less bulk. Just use whatever TV or monitor is available wherever you are.

I also was thinking about ITX and know that x4 not enough to show 100% of GPU performance, but due to specific of my job, it's complicated...
ITX size is not so different from eGPU case, but i cannot carry it in hand luggage due to it's size, in bags - i have enough space and weight limit ~45 kg total, so about this no any problem. But if carry it in bags - possible that bag will be lost during transportation, once i got expirience that my luggage was 2 months missed, in my laptop i also got some stuff for job so it's important for me.
Also sometime threre is no any TV / monitor for private use or picture quality are not so well

In hand luggage i could be sure that all stuff what i carry will be with me, that's why ITX - not my choise

Wha
I also was thinking about ITX and know that x4 not enough to show 100% of GPU performance, but due to specific of my job, it's complicated...
ITX size is not so different from eGPU case, but i cannot carry it in hand luggage due to it's size, in bags - i have enough space and weight limit ~45 kg total, so about this no any problem. But if carry it in bags - possible that bag will be lost during transportation, once i got expirience that my luggage was 2 months missed, in my laptop i also got some stuff for job so it's important for me.
Also sometime threre is no any TV / monitor for private use or picture quality are not so well

In hand luggage i could be sure that all stuff what i carry will be with me, that's why ITX - not my choise
what do you actually need it for?

So you have a laptop now and a desktop, why not just get rid of the laptop and use the laptop you have in it's place if you want to have a single system? Why have your laptop but then scrap the desktop and buy the exact same setup as the laptop you have now, aside from being newer? Or would you sell that other laptop you have?

Jan 20, 2020
Wha

what do you actually need it for?

As written in topic's name - need best solution for work & gaming:) But those what i found - some options suffer in performance, another in mobility/comfort... so now i'm stopped on AW m17 R2, it got some kind of balance between performance / mobility, but hope to find another options;

Jan 20, 2020
So you have a laptop now and a desktop, why not just get rid of the laptop and use the laptop you have in it's place if you want to have a single system? Why have your laptop but then scrap the desktop and buy the exact same setup as the laptop you have now, aside from being newer? Or would you sell that other laptop you have?

I'm traveling in 30+ countries around the world, so need my own portable set) Desktop is the best, but i cannot carry it all the time, especially in hand luggage; now my AW 17 R2 is quite old, it got i7-4720HQ CPU - already downvolted & overclocked as much as possible, so need to move forward; this laptop i will give to somebody from relatives when got new one

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Are you asking or telling? The whole cons and pros are in front of you , you have only to make choice depending upon what you need.If you are telling the best laptops then switch your thread title to discussion from QUESTION.

Jan 20, 2020
Are you asking or telling? The whole cons and pros are in front of you , you have only to make choice depending upon what you need.If you are telling the best laptops then switch your thread title to discussion from QUESTION.

Actually it's a question, because this pros and cons is only my opinion and what i found to compare, but i'm now asking for advice or additional info, anyway a can't know everything, for sure somebody knows more, and i hope that they visit this forum from time to time