[SOLVED] Best Power Cable for Corsair RM850x

Nov 19, 2019
Corsair did not include a power cord with my PSU so I bought this cable from best buy (the only one they offer). Is it enough to power my 850w PSU? I'm not sure if this is a factor, but I'm overclocking and stress testing. Here's a link to my build with estimated wattage of 585w. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Dang that's pretty annoying... Everything seems to run fine with that other cable I mentioned. Do you think it's safe or should I begin the process of unplugging everything and replacing?

I don't know anything about that Best Buy power cord. The product page on Best Buy is useless.

Problem with the US is we use lower mains voltage. Lower voltage means higher current. Higher current means more resistance. More resistance means more heat.

Is the power cord UL certified? What's the current rating printed on the power cord? None of this is listed on the product page.

You paid for a new PSU. You should get a new PSU. If the PSU is working fine and only missing the power cord, then you can probably just get one shipped...
I should have specified. Corsair didn't include one for some reason.

Then... that's a problem. It should have come with a power cord.

Where did you buy it from? Your PCPartPicker link says Amazon, but buying a new PSU from Amazon would definitely come with a power cord. That is, unless you ended up with someone else's return (very common problem that people will return things to Amazon without stating a problem and end up returning products that are defective or missing parts. Then Amazon just puts the product back into inventory).

Was the PSU shrink-wrapped?

Nov 19, 2019
Then... that's a problem. It should have come with a power cord.

Where did you buy it from? Your PCPartPicker link says Amazon, but buying a new PSU from Amazon would definitely come with a power cord. That is, unless you ended up with someone else's return (very common problem that people will return things to Amazon without stating a problem and end up returning products that are defective or missing parts. Then Amazon just puts the product back into inventory).

Was the PSU shrink-wrapped?
Yeah, I bought it from amazon. I don't remember it being shrink-wrapped... Here's the exact link I used. It doesn't show an AC cord in the photo though.

Yeah, I bought it from amazon. I don't remember it being shrink-wrapped... Here's the exact link I used. It doesn't show an AC cord in the photo though.

Yeah. That should have come with a power cord. If it didn't come with a power cord and it wasn't shrink wrapped, then you got someone's return.

The pictures don't show AC power cords because they use the same set of photos for every region instead of shooting photos of every single region's power cord (i.e. UK, EU, Japan, etc.)

But trust me. If it was a new RM850x, it would have a power cord in the box.

Reactions: DMAN999
Nov 19, 2019
Yeah. That should have come with a power cord. If it didn't come with a power cord and it wasn't shrink wrapped, then you got someone's return.

The pictures don't show AC power cords because they use the same set of photos for every region instead of shooting photos of every single region's power cord (i.e. UK, EU, Japan, etc.)

But trust me. If it was a new RM850x, it would have a power cord in the box.
Dang that's pretty annoying... Everything seems to run fine with that other cable I mentioned. Do you think it's safe or should I begin the process of unplugging everything and replacing?

I don't know anything about that Best Buy power cord. The product page on Best Buy is useless.

Problem with the US is we use lower mains voltage. Lower voltage means higher current. Higher current means more resistance. More resistance means more heat.

Is the power cord UL certified? What's the current rating printed on the power cord? None of this is listed on the product page.

You paid for a new PSU. You should get a new PSU. If the PSU is working fine and only missing the power cord, then you can probably just get one shipped to you from Corsair if you contact their support department. If you go through Amazon, they're going to make you return the whole thing.

Solution
Nov 19, 2019

You paid for a new PSU. You should get a new PSU. If the PSU is working fine and only missing the power cord, then you can probably just get one shipped to you from Corsair if you contact their support department. If you go through Amazon, they're going to make you return the whole thing.
Looks like you're right. I found a product page that said this:
Package contents
  • RMx Series ATX Power Supply
  • AC power cord
  • DC Modular cable set
  • DC Modular cable storage bag
  • Cable ties
  • Corsair case badge
  • User Manual
I'm just going to play it safe and return it. I'd rather not take any chances with someones returned unit. I can just get a new unit from best buy in the morning. Thanks!

Last edited: