Question Best power plan for Ryzen 5 2600 ?

albertlow_

Prominent
Aug 23, 2021
I want to know wich is the best Power Plan for a Ryzen 5 2600, AMD Ryzen Balanced or Windows High Performance? I have read about that and I read a lot of different opinions :/

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Balanced. Either Microsoft or AMD Balanced preferably. It has the same functionality as Performance when the cpu is in use, but also the same lower functionality as Eco when the cpu isn't in use. Performance cuts out any Eco setting points. It affects more than just the cpu, but also the ram voltages, current use, VRM's, storage and timer use, USB, pcie etc, keeping them at a higher state than necessary.

Balanced. Either Microsoft or AMD Balanced preferably. It has the same functionality as Performance when the cpu is in use, but also the same lower functionality as Eco when the cpu isn't in use. Performance cuts out any Eco setting points. It affects more than just the cpu, but also the ram voltages, current use, VRM's, storage and timer use, USB, pcie etc, keeping them at a higher state than necessary.
are you sure that you werent looking at some old google pictures/reviews?
im looking at ryzen master now with r7 3800x, high performance power plan is on and cpu goes down to 70Mhz on idle on both high performance and ryzen high performance, havent checked timers...lemme see
edit: added picture
Rq1VOAd.jpg

edit2: one more picture showing min/max processor setting in high performance profile
kJQKXId.jpg

Last edited:
timers on idle, nothing opened:
high performance - static 15.625
ryzen high performance - static 15.625
ryzen balanced - static 15.625
balanced - jumping between 2.00, 4.00 and 15.625
power saver - jumping between 9.00 and 15.625
lower number = more power
playing games or youtube is usualy at 1.00 timer (for real time counters)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You can use whichever, but for stockish Ryzens, Balanced was better as it was optimized by Microsoft and AMD just for Windows stability and and performance. It also fixed more than a few bugs. Microsoft included it in the Windows update, so that's where you'll find see the Microsoft Balanced, AMD included it in chipset driver updates. So generally you'll have one or the other in Win10.

Performance is just Balanced minus eco settings, so monitor is always on, sleep/hibernation disabled, usb enabled instead of selective etc. Mine started as Balanced, but is now Custom since I made a couple of changes like no power down of hdd, sleep is disabled, only monitor after 5 minutes etc.

timers on idle, nothing opened:
high performance - static 15.625
ryzen high performance - static 15.625
ryzen balanced - static 15.625
balanced - jumping between 2.00, 4.00 and 15.625
power saver - jumping between 9.00 and 15.625
lower number = more power
playing games or youtube is usualy at 1.00 timer (for real time counters)
Exactly, unused cores will sleep anyway, wake up instantly and go to required frequency.