[SOLVED] Best power supply for my prebuilt PC (novice builder) ?

Jun 22, 2021
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700

Motherboard: Lenovo 3714 SDK0R32862 (prebuilt PC motherboard)

Ram: 2x8gb (prebuilt PC ram)

SSD/HDD: 512GB SSD (prebuilt PC SSD)
(I also have an old HDD that I will replace with a Samsung 870 EVO 1TB after I upgrade my PSU/whatever else needs to be upgraded. Didn't want to do too much at once considering I'm new)

GPU: Currently a EVGA GTX 1050 (I have a EVGA 2060 I am wanting to put in, hence the upgrade)

PSU: 180W (pre-built PC PSU)

Sorry for the lack of proper information. I bought a prebuilt computer a long while back to which I put my old GPU into (the 1050.) The PC was listed as "Lenovo IdeaCentre 510A-15ICK Core i7-9700 3.0GHz 512GB SSD 16GB " and bought from OfficeMax/Staples/something of the likes, for what it is worth.

I bought this maybe two years back hoping it would be a good build to upgrade. Knowing now it is horrible, I regret the decision, but I wonder if there is any easy way to perhaps upgrade this PC regardless. I researched some and saw I obviously needed a new PSU, and I'm amazed truly that somehow this PSU has run my PC as well as it has (it has no switch at the back, which says a lot, at least in my opinion.)

I bought a 500W EVGA PSU from Amazon, but the reviews seemed extremely poor. That part is on me, but prior I had tried to replace my PSU myself, but the pins/wires/everything just didn't seem to line up. The PSU in my computer currently has way fewer cords attached to it than the one I bought (Listed as "EVGA 500W 80PLUS Certified ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR") and I was, to be very transparent, even more confused. I feel if my motherboard/PSU (probably a mix of the two) were properly upgraded in the first place, I would not feel this daunting pain.

Honestly, overall, I am just looking for any advice on where to move forward/a good PSU suggestion that might suit my absolute confusion, or any advice on working with the maneuvering of this. I would love to upgrade my PSU, but if it's a trouble with my motherboard too, then I might turn to just getting an upgraded pre-built. My physical health has been severely declining lately, and I mainly wanted to take on the task of a PSU change. Wasn't sure who else to ask, as I have no friends with knowledge, so I thought I'd turn to this community for any advice.

Thanks for any help, and sorry for my lengthy words and probable confusion. I'm not quite sure what I am doing yet, so it's hard to summarize! If I can help more in any way to help anybody help me, let me know!

Solution
Yeah, that EVGA PSU is basically the cheapest type they make. I would not recommend it for a gaming system. EVGA makes some decent models, the G3 and G5 platforms are good. B3 and B5 are good enough for your purposes. Corsair CX models, SuperFlower Leadex III, Seasonic (most models are fine, SI12III is a little iffy)

What you have discovered is a proprietary PSU from Lenovo. There are adapters out there. Check your pin count to select the right one. (I'm having trouble tracking down images of the exact board, a lot of 510A models)

https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Adapter-Braided-Sleeved-Servers/dp/B06WV9Z9QT

https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Adapter-Braided-Sleeved-Servers/dp/B01M2BKWIK

Now this doesn't solve the other problem...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, that EVGA PSU is basically the cheapest type they make. I would not recommend it for a gaming system. EVGA makes some decent models, the G3 and G5 platforms are good. B3 and B5 are good enough for your purposes. Corsair CX models, SuperFlower Leadex III, Seasonic (most models are fine, SI12III is a little iffy)

What you have discovered is a proprietary PSU from Lenovo. There are adapters out there. Check your pin count to select the right one. (I'm having trouble tracking down images of the exact board, a lot of 510A models)

https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Adapter-Braided-Sleeved-Servers/dp/B06WV9Z9QT

https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Adapter-Braided-Sleeved-Servers/dp/B01M2BKWIK

Now this doesn't solve the other problem, of a new power supply fitting inside the computer...

But to run an RTX2060, you will need a decent supply, so next step would be to transplant the board to a another computer chassis. However, I haven't exactly identified the board, so I don't know if it is a standard size. That or leave the power supply hanging outside the computer...

Ideal option would be to also purchase a motherboard so there is no chance of hardware issues (and you wouldn't need an adapter), but then you likely have to deal with the OS needing re-installed.

Solution