CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x with stock cooler
Cooling: 4 case fans
Storage: 2 1TB seagate harddrive
Storage: 1 Adata Su800 126gb ssd
Motherboard: Asus Prime B450M-A/CSM

all I want to know is if I can use the 600w power supply for a rtx 3070

Solution
But I’m on a tight budget

Admittedly "tight budget" means different things to different people.... but if a $500*+ RTX 3070 is doable, a quality PSU to run it should be too.

* Remember $500 is the MSRP. Only select models will be available at the pricepoint - and those models will likely be availably (however briefly) at launch. The second wave of cards will probably be supply of the next 'tier' of models, probably in the $550-$600 range, then once supply normalizes, the ~$500 models should be available again.

So unless you get super lucky at launch, you're likely looking at a couple of months before you can even get your hands on a ~$500 3070. More than enough time for most people to pick up a quality PSU .... Again...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
We won't know with 100% certainty until independent third party reviews are out.
That being said, assuming the TDP scales the same as the 3080 or 3090, max power draw is ~20% above the listed TDP (3090 can draw ~420W vs 350W, 3080 ~380W vs 320W)

That means a 3070 will likely max out around 260-270W. With the balance of your hardware, a quality 550-650W range unit could do it..... The ThermalTake Smart 600W isn't particularly great though.

To pair with a shiny new 3070, I'd be budgeting for a new, quality PSU if it were me.

Assuming you're in the US, the SuperFlower Leadex III 650W is probably the best 'value' for a quality PSU at the moment: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TJYNGB8?psc=1&th=1&linkCode=gs2&tag=pcp0f-20

Reactions: Bluefire335
Oct 15, 2020
We won't know with 100% certainty until independent third party reviews are out.
That being said, assuming the TDP scales the same as the 3080 or 3090, max power draw is ~20% above the listed TDP (3090 can draw ~420W vs 350W, 3080 ~380W vs 320W)

That means a 3070 will likely max out around 260-270W. With the balance of your hardware, a quality 550-650W range unit could do it..... The ThermalTake Smart 600W isn't particularly great though.

To pair with a shiny new 3070, I'd be budgeting for a new, quality PSU if it were me.

Assuming you're in the US, the SuperFlower Leadex III 650W is probably the best 'value' for a quality PSU at the moment: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TJYNGB8?psc=1&th=1&linkCode=gs2&tag=pcp0f-20
I am on a tight buget so should I just wait tell i get a better power supply?
Also what would happen if my power supply is not compatible?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Admittedly "tight budget" means different things to different people.... but if a $500*+ RTX 3070 is doable, a quality PSU to run it should be too.

* Remember $500 is the MSRP. Only select models will be available at the pricepoint - and those models will likely be availably (however briefly) at launch. The second wave of cards will probably be supply of the next 'tier' of models, probably in the $550-$600 range, then once supply normalizes, the ~$500 models should be available again.

So unless you get super lucky at launch, you're likely looking at a couple of months before you can even get your hands on a ~$500 3070. More than enough time for most people to pick up a quality PSU .... Again, looking ~$100 for something good, and the Leadex III is the best 'value' at the moment that I'm aware of.

I am on a tight buget so should I just wait tell i get a better power supply?
Also what would happen if my power supply is not compatible?

I would advocate the PSU first. Given the likely timeline to get your hands on a 3070 (going to be more in demand than a 3080 or 3090 - although supply should be greater), you probably have a month or two to handle the PSU first.

As for what 'would' happen if the PSU isn't up to the test (I'm not saying 'not compatible') really depends.
The SMART units aren't great, but they do have some modicum of protections built in, so you're not looking at fire hazard (in all likelihood). What you might experience would be instability, random shutdowns or outright no display when you turn it on.

^^ That would be even when the PSU is new. Add a few weeks/months/years of use (to now, or post-3070) and the problem compounds. It might 'work' initially, but equally it might not. Or it might work for a while. Highly, highly doubtful that PSU would go on forever with a 3070 in it.

Remember, nobody has a problem with a component until they do.
That PSU should be fine for quite a while with a 1050TI, RX570 or 1060 etc (75-150W GPUs), but even then, I wouldn't recommend the unit specifically. Add another 100+W to the equation, and it's a different ballgame.

Reactions: Bluefire335
Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Last question would you say that the Evga 700 BQ 80+ Bronze 700w, Semi Modular power supply be any good or is that power supply not great.

Honestly, I didn't know there was a 700W variant in the BQ product stack (only knew of 500W, 600W, 750W, 850W).

The x50 units are HEC made, and 'meh'. Not terrible, not great either. The x00 are Andyson-made, and much the same outlook, IIRC.... so I'll assume the 700W to be the same.

As far as I can tell, the 700W BQ isn't available anywhere for purchase anyway, so kind of a moot point.... EVGAs site has it listed for $85 USD which would make it another poor value offering.

If it's a matter of cost outright, the Antec Earthwatts Gold PRo 650W is another quality unit - $95.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/B9...fied-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ea650g-pro

There is the CX650 from Corsair... $80 with a $15 rebate, so $65 net spend, but means waiting for a rebate for months. Even then, it's a substantial step down in quality over the Antec or SuperFlower units I've linked.
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-s...&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-.o44J8Ai_q6zv0yUw_Yb5A

TRENDING THREADS