Best Power Supply Units For Cryptocurrency Mining (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
The lists will enrich as we evaluate more high-capacity units. We've only included the PSUs that I have evaluated for Tom's so far, and this is why you see popular mining units like the EVGA 1600 G2 and 1600 T2 missing. Nonetheless the SF 1600, which is included, has the same platform with all EVGA 1600 G2/P2/T2 units so you get an idea of what to expect.

A note also about the CM 1200 MIJ entry. Since we don't set a price limit and this specific PSU meets our home mining criteria, it is included in the list. It goes without a saying though that its performance per buck score (or mining performance per buck) is way too low.

peachslices

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017
I've tried mining, but personally find it just easier to use the money I'd buy the equipment with and spend it on buying the coins directly. If anyone needs some help with that, there's some step by step guides here: https://getcrypto.info/

Daniel_G

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016
I'd like to see the Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w added to this roundup. I'm planning on building a 6x 1070ti/1070 rig, with 2 of these to power it. From reading reviews it seems to be the best overall PSU, with only downside being high price and no wattage options over 1kw.

It really can't be emphasized enough that one SHOULD NOT use Molex to PCIe adapters when their PSU doesn't have enough PCIe connectors. Molex connectors only have a single +12V lead. Common sense SHOULD dictate that you CAN NOT power a graphics card off a Molex at 100% load with only one +12V lead, but there's a surprisingly large amount of lack of common sense out there. I, unfortunately, see melted connectors all the time.

zayarsky

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017
The best PSU is a server slightly used PSU, HP 2400W which is tuned to support 14 GPU and 2 motherboards :)

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
slightly used server PSU, good luck with that especially if you buy it from a person that you don't know. Why someone would get rid of a lightly used server unit in a fraction of its price? Also server units don't have the same ripple suppression with the desktop ones, since ripple isn't priority one there. Plus, you need to mod it in order to have the necessary amount of PCIe cables/connectors.

I cannot recommend a used PSU which can cause any trouble to the system, if it isn't in a good state.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
...stop bloody encouraging this latest "get rich quick" scheme which is hurting the gaming and 3D CG enthusiast market.

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
we are not encouraging anyone to do something that he doesn't want to do. Personally I don't mine. For those who mine, I suggest at least the most efficient PSUs in order not to consumer energy in vain (which is the most important IMO).

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015

Yes you can.

Mar 4, 2018
Mining is ok, but why not to try to buy coins? I would recommend you to use secure guides for ex https://www.buycryptocoinnow.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.