Best practice- Creating GPO's

Hi,
I wanted to know how a GPO should be created when making changes to certain
values. For example if I have a GPO applied to an OU and there are
additions I need to make to that GPO:

Is it best practice to create another GPO applied to that OU or just apply
the changes to the exisiting GPO? Thanks,

-SA.

You have to find a OU Design that fits you best. How ever I'm recommend the
follow, Don't make to much changes in the default policies (Default Domain
Policy and Default Domain Controllers Policy) Create New GPOs for example
Security Policy , Desktop Lockdown Policy etc, Because if you revice some
unexpected or unwanted changes that will cause problem for your production
environment, its more easy to disable the particular policy and troubleshot
that way. I'm also recommend you to create a test OU with one user account
and one computer account, Always create new policies at this test OU and
verify the result, then link the policy to it to the 'Production OU' there
is supposed to be.

I don't know if you want me to cover the Optimize Performance of Group
Policies. How ever you can have a look at the follow articles:

HOW TO: Optimize Group Policy for Logon Performance in Windows 2000.:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315418&sd=tech

4956 » How do I optimize Group Policy to increase logon performance?
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBJ/tip4900/rh4956.htm

or Search Google for "Optimize Group Policy" and you will find out more
information. Feel free to post back.

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

"SA" <nospam@nospam.nospam> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi,
> I wanted to know how a GPO should be created when making changes to
certain
> values. For example if I have a GPO applied to an OU and there are
> additions I need to make to that GPO:
>
> Is it best practice to create another GPO applied to that OU or just apply
> the changes to the exisiting GPO? Thanks,
>
> -SA.

Usually it's going to be easier to modify the existing GPO. As Chris said,
it dpeends on your OU structure. If you have some settings that you want to
be able to block out on certain machines, it may be easier to create a
second GPO.

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP
desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us