[SOLVED] Best practice for gpu driver install after windows clean install

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Ive had some black screens which I believe are gpu driver related so Ive decided to clean install windows 10 and start fresh in case there are some corrupted reg files. What is the best practice after the clean install to manually install the gpu drivers? Is it bad to install /update the chipset bios and gpu drivers prior to running windows update? Will running windows update attempt to install outdated gpu drivers?

thanks

Solution
Best practice for a custom build is to:

1. Install the OS
  2. Install the LAN, Chipset, Audio drivers from your motherboard manufacturer
  3. Install the graphic card drivers from the chip manufacturer's (AMD/NVidia) web site.
  4. Install updates (which there should not be many if you use Windows Install Media).

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Best practice for a custom build is to:

1. Install the OS
  2. Install the LAN, Chipset, Audio drivers from your motherboard manufacturer
  3. Install the graphic card drivers from the chip manufacturer's (AMD/NVidia) web site.
  4. Install updates (which there should not be many if you use Windows Install Media).

-Wolf sends

Solution

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Ok, I definitely did not do the steps perfectly in order then, I did windows update then chipset bios flash and gpu drivers , I didnt even download LAN or Audio yet, would I need to do it all over again or would an issue be rare from my approach?