[SOLVED] Best (price point) GPU to pair with an old i5-4670k retiring PC

Gibbyness

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
I posted about my GTX 770 finally retiring itself here.

I've decided I want to build a new PC completely from scratch, and will retire my current PC to my 4 year old to use as a "toy" and do some online games etc as her interest grows and eventually needs an upgrade in the future.

I plan to wait out the soon to be price wars that will come with mining taking a hit from Ethereum switching to proof of stake and from the new 40 series etc launching before jumping in and building a new RIG.

with all that said, I'm curious: if you were to pick the cheapest GPU to pair with a i5-4670k, 32GB DDR3 RAM gaming PC, what would your pick be? Even tho I've been an Nvidia fan for over a decade, I'm considering AMD now for this build. I was eyeing the RX 6600 XT or an RX 5700 or maybe a 2060 Super, etc...

I just want to maximize what I can on this PC so it lasts as long as it can for her before she needs a better setup, but also don't want to waste money and over spend on something like a 3060/3070 if the CPU will just bottleneck it anyway.

Thanks for everyone's time!

Solution

I've decided I want to build a new PC completely from scratch, and will retire my current PC to my 4 year old to use as a "toy" and do some online games etc as her interest grows and eventually needs an upgrade in the future.

I plan to wait out the soon to be price wars that will come with mining taking a hit from Ethereum switching to proof of stake and from the new 40 series etc launching before jumping in and building a new RIG.

with all that said, I'm curious: if you were to pick the cheapest GPU to pair with a i5-4670k, 32GB DDR3 RAM gaming PC, what would your pick be? Even tho I've been an Nvidia fan for over a decade, I'm considering AMD now for this build. I...

DSzymborski

Titan

with all that said, I'm curious: if you were to pick the cheapest GPU to pair with a i5-4670k, 32GB DDR3 RAM gaming PC, what would your pick be? Even tho I've been an Nvidia fan for over a decade, I'm considering AMD now for this build. I was eyeing the RX 6600 XT or an RX 5700 or maybe a 2060 Super, etc...

I just want to maximize what I can on this PC so it lasts as long as it can for her before she needs a better setup, but also don't want to waste money and over spend on something like a 3060/3070 if the CPU will just bottleneck it anyway.

Thanks for everyone's time!

A 2060 is about as far as makes sense for the platform, and they can generally be found for reasonable prices. By the time that your daughter would need a 3060 or 3070, the CPU platform would already be in sore need of an upgrade, I think.

Solution

Gibbyness

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
A 2060 is about as far as makes sense for the platform, and they can generally be found for reasonable prices. By the time that your daughter would need a 3060 or 3070, the CPU platform would already be in sore need of an upgrade, I think.
Would you go 2060 over the RX 6600? Look to be the same price but I read the 6600 beats the 2060 in some stuff. I enjoy the idea of staying with Nvidia since it's what I know if it's the better buy.

New 2060 $280
New 6600 $280

Gibbyness

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
I'm going to go with a new 2060 from amazon, grabbed one for $246, wanted to go with the dual fan over the single.

I'm always sketched out by buying used, and 250 won't break the bank, and is great option to bridge the gap until all the new stuff drops and the prices on stuff flatten out.

thanks guys!

TRENDING THREADS