Best processor and vid card combo for Photoshop

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tjhva

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I agree on the 7300, even though I don't know the preforamce gains of the 7600 series.

But the only thing that will be installed on this computer will be XP and Photoshop CS2.

But I know with Apples aperture program it relies on the GPU for a lot of the horsepower for the program, if you want it to perform well for your work flow I might assume one day Adobe Bridge may become the same.

But I don’t think I am going for the Raptor, Instead I am just going to get two 250gig SATA2 drives.

Thanks for the help.

linux_0

Splendid
I agree on the 7300, even though I don't know the preforamce gains of the 7600 series.

But the only thing that will be installed on this computer will be XP and Photoshop CS2.

But I know with Apples aperture program it relies on the GPU for a lot of the horsepower for the program, if you want it to perform well for your work flow I might assume one day Adobe Bridge may become the same.

But I don’t think I am going for the Raptor, Instead I am just going to get two 250gig SATA2 drives.

Thanks for the help.

Indeed 250 GB drives have the best price / GB.

@ about $0.37 / GB vs. $0.50 or more for other drives and over $2.00 / GB for some raptors.

250GB is definitely the sweet spot.

The WD2500KS is only $93 @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144701

Not the fastest drive but it's decent and has a 16MB buffer.

http://www.storagereview.com/comparison.html

:-D

Who is doing the rendering for Halo - the movie's special effects? I heard they do it on a Linux farm, running Opterons...

Well, after all, it wouldn't be the first time that MS actually uses open source software in Halo, the first installment was using Vorbis encoding for sound and musics... instead of WMA. I wonder why...

linux_0

Splendid
Who is doing the rendering for Halo - the movie's special effects? I heard they do it on a Linux farm, running Opterons...

Well, after all, it wouldn't be the first time that MS actually uses open source software in Halo, the first installment was using Vorbis encoding for sound and musics... instead of WMA. I wonder why...

$Linux + $Opteron = awesome();

Opterons are ideal for building large computing clusters and Linux and *BSD are ideal cluster operating systems.

levicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
AMD64 is still superior. The AMD64 OMC + DDR400 beats the P4s with DDR2-666 at the same price point.

Well you are wrong, it is not. Can you buy AMD64 dual-core CPU for $250?!? Right, you can't! I hope you won't argue that single-core AMD64 is better than dual-core Intel when it comes to Photoshop?!?

While I agree that sometimes you can get better results with AMD64 and DDR400 it is only if you use EXPENSIVE DDR-400 or better. Since he can't afford it, it doesn't make any sense.

You should use 2 DIMMs regardless.

I am using 4 DIMMS and I don't have any bandwidth issues, With Intel memory controllers neither latency nor command rate depends on the number of modules used so there is no reason not to use all slots.

@tjhva:
7600 GS and GT have 128-bit memory interface. GS has 800MHz DDR2 and GT has 1500MHz GDDR3. They also differ in clock and number of active fragment and vertex processors. 7300 is a cheap solution which can have some local video memory and for the rest it uses system RAM hurting the overall performance. Moreover, it doesn't have certaing video postprocessing features which supposedly lift some burden from the CPU. I would advise you to get at least 7600GS.

As for Raptor, only getting 150GB drive would make any sense. Since you can't afford it, getting regular drives is the only option.
I would usually suggest to get two drives as you said, but since they are going for $93 making two of them $186, you may want to consider WD4000YR for $182 -- it is definately faster (65 MB/s buffer to disk sustained) and better drive featurewise. Although you get less space then with 2xWD2500KS you get 5yr warranty and you can add one more later to form matrix RAID if you decide to get Intel board with ICH7R southbridge, or just get another smaller drive for system and use this one for data.

linux_0

Splendid
AMD64 is still superior. The AMD64 OMC + DDR400 beats the P4s with DDR2-666 at the same price point.

Well you are wrong, it is not. Can you buy AMD64 dual-core CPU for $250?!? Right, you can't! I hope you won't argue that single-core AMD64 is better than dual-core Intel when it comes to Photoshop?!?

While I agree that sometimes you can get better results with AMD64 and DDR400 it is only if you use EXPENSIVE DDR-400 or better. Since he can't afford it, it doesn't make any sense.

You should use 2 DIMMs regardless.

I am using 4 DIMMS and I don't have any bandwidth issues, With Intel memory controllers neither latency nor command rate depends on the number of modules used so there is no reason not to use all slots.

@tjhva:
7600 GS and GT have 128-bit memory interface. GS has 800MHz DDR2 and GT has 1500MHz GDDR3. They also differ in clock and number of active fragment and vertex processors. 7300 is a cheap solution which can have some local video memory and for the rest it uses system RAM hurting the overall performance. Moreover, it doesn't have certaing video postprocessing features which supposedly lift some burden from the CPU. I would advise you to get at least 7600GS.

As for Raptor, only getting 150GB drive would make any sense. Since you can't afford it, getting regular drives is the only option.
I would usually suggest to get two drives as you said, but since they are going for $93 making two of them $186, you may want to consider WD4000YR for $182 -- it is definately faster (65 MB/s buffer to disk sustained) and better drive featurewise. Although you get less space then with 2xWD2500KS you get 5yr warranty and you can add one more later to form matrix RAID if you decide to get Intel board with ICH7R southbridge, or just get another smaller drive for system and use this one for data.

Corsair Value RAM DD400 runs fine and performs well.

S939 and S940 are still very good platforms. They are available now, stable, proven, fast, upgradeable, reasonably priced and can match or beat any Intel CPU on the market today.

In fact AMD's 90nm parts beat the 65nm P4s in performance and heat dissipation.

http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/24/1747228&mode=thread

http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2163

http://www.intel.com/performance/desktop/extreme/em64t.htm

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1/fx60-vs-955xe/index.x?pg=5

You still have to slow down to use more DIMMs.

DDR400 is cheaper in many cases.

It doesn't matter how fast the Raptors are the poster cannot afford it.

levicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006

Not if you stick 4 modules.

S939 and S940 are still very good platforms. They are available now, stable, proven, fast, upgradeable, reasonably priced and can match or beat any Intel CPU on the market today.

Available now -- so is Intel
Stable -- so is Intel
Proven -- so is Intel
Fast -- so is Intel and faster in Photoshop

Upgradeable? -- I don't think so, AM2 socket is on the way, wave goodbye to S939/S940 CPU and DDR memory. So where is the upgrade path?

Reasonably priced? -- Actually due to inferior manufacturing process it is more expensive.

I can't wait to see their 3GHz parts in dual-core.

Why are you so stubborn? -- I am running four modules at 667MHz with 4-4-4-12 timings and 1T. Are you saying that I am lying about it?!?

Cheaper if you get value RAM and then you can say goodbye to overclocking and world+dog knows that AMD CPUs are good only if decently overclocked. Plus DDR is obsolete. If he doesn't like Intel after he tries it, when AM2 comes out he will be able to switch to AMD platform much easier.
Just sell the board and the CPU and get new AM2 CPU and board.
On the other hand if he gets DDR and single-core AMD now (for dual-core he obviously cannot afford) and if he doesn't like it the only option would be to change CPU, mainboard AND RAM.

I haven't insisted on Raptor, I suggested WD4000YR for the same amount of money as 2xWD2500KS because I know that WD4000YR is better performing drive.

linux_0

Splendid

Not if you stick 4 modules.

Available now -- so is Intel
Stable -- so is Intel
Proven -- so is Intel
Fast -- so is Intel and faster in Photoshop

Upgradeable? -- I don't think so, AM2 socket is on the way, wave goodbye to S939/S940 CPU and DDR memory. So where is the upgrade path?

Reasonably priced? -- Actually due to inferior manufacturing process it is more expensive.

I can't wait to see their 3GHz parts in dual-core.

Why are you so stubborn? -- I am running four modules at 667MHz with 4-4-4-12 timings and 1T. Are you saying that I am lying about it?!?

Cheaper if you get value RAM and then you can say goodbye to overclocking and world+dog knows that AMD CPUs are good only if decently overclocked. Plus DDR is obsolete. If he doesn't like Intel after he tries it, when AM2 comes out he will be able to switch to AMD platform much easier.
Just sell the board and the CPU and get new AM2 CPU and board.
On the other hand if he gets DDR and single-core AMD now (for dual-core he obviously cannot afford) and if he doesn't like it the only option would be to change CPU, mainboard AND RAM.

I haven't insisted on Raptor, I suggested WD4000YR for the same amount of money as 2xWD2500KS because I know that WD4000YR is better performing drive.

http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/10/1520229&mode=thread

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/03/22/pentium_extreme_edition_965/page10.html

levicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
So what am I looking at and why?

He won't use Linux or Povray.

Also, Gentoo x64 should compile with -march=nocona for Intel EM64T, not to mention that gcc 4.x is stable and produces way faster code. When we are at it, there is also free non-commercial version of Intel C++ compiler 9.0.030 is current build, and they didn't have working SLI on Intel rig plus they used aftermarket cooler for AMD. As you see, there are quite a few ways to make Intel system run faster and cooler.

linux_0

Splendid
So what am I looking at and why?

He won't use Linux or Povray.

Also, Gentoo x64 should compile with -march=nocona for Intel EM64T, not to mention that gcc 4.x is stable and produces way faster code. When we are at it, there is also free non-commercial version of Intel C++ compiler 9.0.030 is current build, and they didn't have working SLI on Intel rig plus they used aftermarket cooler for AMD. As you see, there are quite a few ways to make Intel system run faster and cooler.

The OP is looking for a good workstation. So I suggested:

Dual, Quad or 8way Opteron with SLI and one or more 7900GT / GTX VGA on a Tyan S2895A2NRF.

A workstation like that would work beautifully for Photoshop, image manipulation, 2D and 3D randering, audio/video encoding and decoding, gaming or any other task for that matter.

Tyan has SLI capable Quad and 8way boards as well and Supermicro has secretly introduced Opteron boards.

Several Single Core Opterons are very inexpensive now so you can build a 2way system for the price of a desktop and upgrade to dual core Opterons later.

linux_0

Splendid
And all that for 700$? Hardly...

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=3121186

$886 from newegg all new components, no refurbs.

$943 delivered

I got DAMN close.

That's amazing for a Dual Opteron with rather reasonable components. I could have picked really crappy components and built it cheaper but I didn't.

EDIT:

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=3121266

Here's the craptastic version for $769. $818 delivered and it's not even completely crippled.

Doojob

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
That is pretty good for under a grand.

Ok so I'm doin the photoshop thing too and here's what I'm getting:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
2 - Kingston ValueRAM PC3200 DDR400 2 x 512MB
Western Digital Raptor Enterprise SATA 74GB 10,000 RPM
2 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA NCQ 3.0Gb/s 300GB 16MB Cache
MSI NX6600LE-TD256E
Pioneer DVR-111D Black DVD Writer DVD +/-R/RW 16x16x8x6 8x
Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Mid Tower ATX Black 450 Watt Power Supply

$1400 n change USD $1600 n change CAD

What do ya think?

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

Asus A8N-SLI Premium
MSI NX6600LE-TD256E

What do ya think?
Get the X2 3800+ and use the money that you saved to get a 7600GS/GT. Get 2x1GB sticks of RAM; you don't want to fill all four slots.

linux_0

Splendid

Asus A8N-SLI Premium
MSI NX6600LE-TD256E

What do ya think?

Great config :-D

The only things I would change is the Kingston ValueRAM and the 6600LE. I would suggest replacing the RAM with Corsair Value Select, OCZ value or Crucial and the VGA with a 6600GT or better ( like angry_ducky said shoot for a 7600GT if you can! ).

The rest of the parts are dang good :-D

linux_0

Splendid
wats wrong with kingston..corsair has cas 2.5 but who cares... photoshop..

Several friends of mine and myself are still traumatized by Kingston ValueRAM... had too many issues.

Granted it's gotten better but I feel, Corsair, OCZ and Crucial offer a better value product at the same price.

High-end Kingston is usually quite good.

dmantech

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
I'm doing animation and I would suggest a professional GPU if you what the best use of memory. I would go for the quadro fx 540 or higher, or the any ATI Fire GL Cards. You could find some of these cards on ebay at a reasonable price. I purchased the Quadro FX 1400 for a good $429 compared
to $1100. Newegg also has these cards to. On the processor side I would opt for either a AMD 64 X2, or better yet the Opteron series but make sure you purchase the right socket for the Opty. If you have 939 opty and the 940 opty.

AMD 64 X2 4400+
2 Gigs Corsair
AN8 SLI premium
(For professional use) Quadro FX 1400
(primary use) X1900XT
Creative Xfi
550 watt PSU
250 gig HD