[SOLVED] Best processor for my ancient PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROCK BAND

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
Hello everyone, i have an ancient pc with 4gb ddr2 ram, intel core 2 duo e7500 2.93 ghz processor, nvidia geforece gt 710 gddr3 2gb graphics card, 500 gb hdd and windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. I am looking for buying a new cpu for my pc, first of all my motherboard is intel g31 with lga 775 socket. I am thinking of buying intel core 2 quad q8400 but many people say that it overheats too much and i play games for long time, thus please suggest me the best processor for lga 775 socket motherboard. (INTEL I3,I5,I7 NOT SUPPORTED IN MY MOTHERBOARD).

Before answering, please consider these:-
  1. Please don't advice me anything other than cpu like buy new pc, buy new motherboard,etc as i am only asking about cpu.
  2. I play games a lot so prefer me a cpu which don't overheats too much. My current cpu temperature never rose above 60 degree.
  3. I will also buy better thermal paste and cpu cooler.
  4. If in case you prefer me a processor that overheat then also advice me to keep it cool ( don't advice anything related to my cpu case or position).
  5. Don't make fun of my specs as i am not an adult.

Solution
i really want to buy q8400 but i fear that overheating will damage my pc
Well, regardless of what other people are saying temperature-wise, it won't change the fundamental fact that something like a Q8400 and up is the only worthwhile upgrade available on LGA775.

what will be its idle temperature if i use it with thermal paste and zebronic 775 lga cooler
Doubt anybody here knows much about Zebronic stuff besides sounding like an Asian knock-off brand, not having even a partial model number for whatever it is you may currently have installed does not help either. Try it and upgrade the HSF to something better if it runs too hot.

can you please buy an ancient motherboard, add q8400 to it, game on it for a month then give...
Userbenchmark is trash, but you are correct that a 3000g is far superior.

Even picking up a $100 refurb office machine, with a 2nd gen i5 would be a huge step up.
That is why I usually use Anandtech's bench to show comparisons. I had already told him that the Athlon 200GE would be faster than a Core 2 Quad, heck even an Athlon X4 845 is faster and that is on the heavy equipment line of CPUs.

USAFRet

Titan
in my country q8400 cost 1000 indian rupees but q9650 cost 8000 rupees, suggest me best processor under price range of q8400 like zeon, quad extreme, amd etc
Oh....now we have price limits.

"please suggest me the best processor "
The q9650

But apparently that is outside of your budget.

Let's do this the other way.
Give us a list of what IS within your actual budget, and wel can maybe tell you the 'best processor'.

Reactions: AJNameS

ROCK BAND

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
first of all i don't have money problem, i can even buy i7 9th gen but in india, if anyone plays too much games then he is considered to be michief and thus parents only buy pc parts slowly because they think this will reduce marks, i will have no money wasting problem but please suggest me good cpu.

InvalidError

Titan
Those aren't really an upgrade unless you are able to use more than 2 cores.
Between the applications themselves and all of the background stuff going on in most semi-modern OSes, practically everything can at least indirectly benefit from more than two cores today, which is why plain dual cores are practically extinct.

i will have no money wasting problem but please suggest me good cpu.
As others have pointed out, you have a somewhat trashy motherboard and upgrading to a better (quad core) CPU could potentially kill it.

why can't i add more comments
You already duplicate-posted the same comment three times.

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
  1. I will also buy better thermal paste and cpu cooler.
  2. If in case you prefer me a processor that overheat then also advice me to keep it cool ( don't advice anything related to my cpu case or position).
but in benchmarks core 2 quad 8400 gives more fps than e8800 but i can't buy q8400 because it overheats a lot
If you are getting a better cooler then it shouldn't matter.

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
Userbenchmark is trash, but you are correct that a 3000g is far superior.

Even picking up a $100 refurb office machine, with a 2nd gen i5 would be a huge step up.
Because people say that it overheats too much and i don't want my other components to damage.
But I thought you said you're getting a better cooler! so unless your cooler is terrible, you shouldn't have to worry.

ROCK BAND

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
will cooler do anything good to cpu as people still say that even with good cooler they get q8400 temp to 80 degree celcius and i fear that. if cooler can keep it below 75 then i have no fear ( i expect my cpu temp to remain below 75 fegree celcius even if i play games with 100 percent cpu load for continuously 1 year) i once played games for 10 hours on my core 2 duo e7500 and its temp never rose above 60 degrees.

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
"people say"

People with inadequate cooling.

You're buying a better cooler, right?

"in my country q8400 cost 1000 indian rupees but q9650 cost 8000 rupees, suggest me best processor under price range of q8400 like zeon, quad extreme, amd etc "

You can just buy a q8400, and the money you saved can be dedicated to getting a better cooler.

ROCK BAND

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
will cooler do anything good to cpu as people still say that even with good cooler they get q8400 temp to 80 degree celcius and i fear that. if cooler can keep it below 75 then i have no fear ( i expect my cpu temp to remain below 75 fegree celcius even if i play games with 100 percent cpu load for continuously 1 year) i once played games for 10 hours on my core 2 duo e7500 and its temp never rose above 60 degrees. Please reply on this

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
will cooler do anything good to cpu as people still say that even with good cooler they get q8400 temp to 80 degree celcius and i fear that. if cooler can keep it below 75 then i have no fear ( i expect my cpu temp to remain below 75 fegree celcius even if i play games with 100 percent cpu load for continuously 1 year) i once played games for 10 hours on my core 2 duo e7500 and its temp never rose above 60 degrees. Please reply on this
Well, if you're saving thousands of rupees on a better CPU that runs hotter, then just get a good cooler.

InvalidError

Titan
i really want to buy q8400 but i fear that overheating will damage my pc
Well, regardless of what other people are saying temperature-wise, it won't change the fundamental fact that something like a Q8400 and up is the only worthwhile upgrade available on LGA775.

what will be its idle temperature if i use it with thermal paste and zebronic 775 lga cooler
Doubt anybody here knows much about Zebronic stuff besides sounding like an Asian knock-off brand, not having even a partial model number for whatever it is you may currently have installed does not help either. Try it and upgrade the HSF to something better if it runs too hot.

can you please buy an ancient motherboard, add q8400 to it, game on it for a month then give me my answer.
Most of us could likely buy a whole LGA1151 system for cheaper than we could scrounge up the parts to do your testing for you.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.