[SOLVED] Best processor for my ancient PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROCK BAND

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
Hello everyone, i have an ancient pc with 4gb ddr2 ram, intel core 2 duo e7500 2.93 ghz processor, nvidia geforece gt 710 gddr3 2gb graphics card, 500 gb hdd and windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. I am looking for buying a new cpu for my pc, first of all my motherboard is intel g31 with lga 775 socket. I am thinking of buying intel core 2 quad q8400 but many people say that it overheats too much and i play games for long time, thus please suggest me the best processor for lga 775 socket motherboard. (INTEL I3,I5,I7 NOT SUPPORTED IN MY MOTHERBOARD).

Before answering, please consider these:-
  1. Please don't advice me anything other than cpu like buy new pc, buy new motherboard,etc as i am only asking about cpu.
  2. I play games a lot so prefer me a cpu which don't overheats too much. My current cpu temperature never rose above 60 degree.
  3. I will also buy better thermal paste and cpu cooler.
  4. If in case you prefer me a processor that overheat then also advice me to keep it cool ( don't advice anything related to my cpu case or position).
  5. Don't make fun of my specs as i am not an adult.

Solution
i really want to buy q8400 but i fear that overheating will damage my pc
Well, regardless of what other people are saying temperature-wise, it won't change the fundamental fact that something like a Q8400 and up is the only worthwhile upgrade available on LGA775.

what will be its idle temperature if i use it with thermal paste and zebronic 775 lga cooler
Doubt anybody here knows much about Zebronic stuff besides sounding like an Asian knock-off brand, not having even a partial model number for whatever it is you may currently have installed does not help either. Try it and upgrade the HSF to something better if it runs too hot.

can you please buy an ancient motherboard, add q8400 to it, game on it for a month then give...

ROCK BAND

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
i can't as i am not an adult i need to get good marks in exams to get each pc part, earlier i didn't even had a gpu i got nvidia gt 710 this year, just tell me that should i buy q8400 processor or there are any better lga 775 socket cpu ( also first time i got fast reply)

Without knowing the exact motherboard brand and model, the best guess I can see from looking at a couple different G31 motherboards would be the Core 2 Quad Q9550. Going with the Quad instead of the Duo would result in a 100MHz clock reduction but gain 2 cores. Unless you are doing things that can utilize more than 2 cores, the Duo will be slightly faster than the Quad. https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/87?vs=50

In all honesty, your best bet is to just save money and put it towards a newer computer. Even a lowly Athlon 200GE is going to be faster than a Core 2 Quad now.

USAFRet

Titan
my motherboard will support all lga775 socket cpu
https://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket 775 (LGA775).html

"All processors in the table below will physically fit into the socket LGA775, but not all of them are supported by all motherboards. If you're upgrading an old computer system please make sure that the CPU is compatible with your motherboard. Please see "Upgrading socket 775 motherboards" section below for information on how to determine what microprocessors can be supported by your motherboard. "

logainofhades

Titan
Reactions: 2plash6
Status
Not open for further replies.