Best Processor for Single and Quad core performance(Gaming)

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I have been away from the scene for a while, I am wondering what the BEST processor for Single and Quad core performance overall would be, not factoring price into it and without considering overclocking(or perhaps light OC)

It can be twice as expensive with a 10% performance increase. But I know sometimes the top of the line chips while do exceedingly well in multi-core scenarios lack a little bit up to quad core.

This would also include chips that will be released within 6ish months if there is any data regarding their performance.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If for some reason you only want 4 cores the fastest Quad core chip right now is the i7-7700k.

However time and technology has passed it by, and the above suggestion of the i7-8700k is a far better idea, and gives you 2 more physical cores, and faster single core speed.

I don't know why the i5-8400 above was even mentioned, it actually is a low clocked version of the same CPU (which can't be overclocked and doesn't have hyperthreading), and hence doesn't fit your criteria at all.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd not bother thinking about cores, nothing really does anymore with the release of Ryzen and CoffeeLake cpus. Everything is concerning IPC and thread count. Right now, budget wise, Ryzen is in a commanding lead, their better cpus have roughly the same IPC as the slightly older Intel Haswell cpus, but considerably more thread count than a similarly priced Intel cpu. Intel, however, while slightly behind in thread count most definitely has a lead in IPC. Simply put, there's more work done per clock, which equates to faster performance.

So the question becomes, what purpose at what budget, running what software. Programs like AutoCAD do far better with Intel fewer threads, but better IPC. Other programs are all about thread count, so for a lower price you get better performance from a Ryzen vrs Intel.

Best performance is the Intel i7-8700k, fastest clocks, best IPC, 12 threads, biggest price tag, needs serious cooling and mobo's aren't cheap. Best all around performance for reasonable budget is Ryzen 5 1600 with fast ram. Works as well on a $60 B250 mobo as a $150 X370, 12 threads and Haswell IPC. Best Quad thread cpu is the i3-8350k, but again, Intel CoffeeLake mobo's aren't cheap. Best budget cpu is the Ryzen 3 1200, 4 decent IPC threads on much cheaper mobo's.

So what's best? No real definitive answer as there's simply too many variables. Budget, needs, usage, wants etc change everything.

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I should have clarified that I don't require it to be quad core, it can be a 16-core 32-thread chip. I just wanted to know what chip has the fastest per core and quad core performance since that makes up probably 90% of everything I do. Thank you.

Latest posts