Question best processor to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

apcm101114

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
Hi I want to ask, I want to buy new system unit for this month.
I keep searching on what is the best processor based on my budget,
May I ask if (I5 11400) is good enough that have 6 cores even it has low base clock speed which is 2.6 ghz?

I just need it on multitasking with our controller on my job up to 20-25 open tab on browser.

JinxTheWorld

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
If it's for commercial use at a job, then any processor with 6+ cores should work. For RAM on a win10 system i would recommend at least 12gb. More tabs & programs open=more RAM used. Generally with nothing open, win10 will eat up 6-8gb of RAM alone.

Though for multitasking for a low price i am biased towards AMD and would recommend a Ryzen 5000 series. Something like the 6c/12t AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, which is on sale on amazon and is 27% off atm. $239 instead of $329.

I5-11400 may have 6 cores, but it can run 12 threads. It is a fine processor.
Your key to having many open tabs will be the amount of ram.
I might expect that you would want 32gb.

Upcoming is the I5-12400 which should sell at a similar price and will be a considerably stronger option.

Reactions: Why_Me

apcm101114

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
If it's for commercial use at a job, then any processor with 6+ cores should work. For RAM on a win10 system i would recommend at least 12gb. More tabs & programs open=more RAM used. Generally with nothing open, win10 will eat up 6-8gb of RAM alone.

Though for multitasking for a low price i am biased towards AMD and would recommend a Ryzen 5000 series. Something like the 6c/12t AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, which is on sale on amazon and is 27% off atm. $239 instead of $329.

Great thanks for the recommendation on AMD will look on it :)

apcm101114

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
I5-11400 may have 6 cores, but it can run 12 threads. It is a fine processor.
Your key to having many open tabs will be the amount of ram.
I might expect that you would want 32gb.

Upcoming is the I5-12400 which should sell at a similar price and will be a considerably stronger option.
thanks bro :)

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Generally with nothing open, win10 will eat up 6-8gb of RAM alone.

I would suggest that something is 'wrong' if you are seeing that high RAM use on just the W10 load.
In my own experience you should expect between around 3-4 on a stock load at desktop. This can readily be trimmed down to high 2's if you go in and cancel some background apps and make a few small changes to the privacy settings.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
OP, in regard to your question(s). I am not sure what your "controller" for work is, so if that is a specific program (etc.) you should check its documentation for recommended spec.
If this is nothing more than say along the lines of browser tabs open, then having higher core counts will mean much less than having a high amount of system RAM. One of our work computers has to have open (4) programs such as QB, Office, Chrome and Edge, typically a camera program (nest) and our affiliate portal. All of this is typically along with about 12 or so open tabs (mostly in Chrome). It runs very well on an 8400, but also is coupled with 32GB of RAM.

Reactions: apcm101114
Jan 21, 2022
Hi I want to ask, I want to buy new system unit for this month.
I keep searching on what is the best processor based on my budget,
May I ask if (I5 11400) is good enough that have 6 cores even it has low base clock speed which is 2.6 ghz?

I just need it on multitasking with our controller on my job up to 20-25 open tab on browser.
I recommend you to buy AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

apcm101114

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
OP, in regard to your question(s). I am not sure what your "controller" for work is, so if that is a specific program (etc.) you should check its documentation for recommended spec.
If this is nothing more than say along the lines of browser tabs open, then having higher core counts will mean much less than having a high amount of system RAM. One of our work computers has to have open (4) programs such as QB, Office, Chrome and Edge, typically a camera program (nest) and our affiliate portal. All of this is typically along with about 12 or so open tabs (mostly in Chrome). It runs very well on an 8400, but also is coupled with 32GB of RAM.
Its also controller works on Web Browser :)
I see , thanks a lot
I just thinking right now if 11400 or the Ryzen 5 3600 I should buy

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Its also controller works on Web Browser :)
I see , thanks a lot
I just thinking right now if 11400 or the Ryzen 5 3600 I should buy

For a work enviro, consider the cost of a motherboard, considering the quagmire of BIOS and compatibility that Ryzen can be...

I am not knocking any Ryzen CPU. My daily drivers are both Ryzen. If I were going to go out and purchase a system for work that I expect to be 100% trouble free, no issues with RAM selection, no concerns about whether I am on the right BIOS revision or standing on my head and rubbing my tummy the proper way during the build (haha), I would absolutely go with the 11400.

The main office computer at home and at the office/shop are Intel machines. One of them is an 8400 and the other is a 3770 (in spite of its age).

apcm101114

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
For a work enviro, consider the cost of a motherboard, considering the quagmire of BIOS and compatibility that Ryzen can be...

I am not knocking any Ryzen CPU. My daily drivers are both Ryzen. If I were going to go out and purchase a system for work that I expect to be 100% trouble free, no issues with RAM selection, no concerns about whether I am on the right BIOS revision or standing on my head and rubbing my tummy the proper way during the build (haha), I would absolutely go with the 11400.

The main office computer at home and at the office/shop are Intel machines. One of them is an 8400 and the other is a 3770 (in spite of its age).

yes
Got it bro , well also me not of fan of Ryzen since knew about computers haha
And the rate average performance of 11400 is better than r5 3600
thanks again for the advice bro appreciated it

apcm101114

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
Something else I note that I am not seeing mentioned is that the Ryzen CPU, aside from the G skew, need a GPU in order to see video. I didn't see mention of utilizing one, but you sure won't get far on a 3600 without one.
got it bro , may i ask do you think if I buy Intel 5 11400 , which motherboard can I buy? ASUS or Gigabyte?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
got it bro , may i ask do you think if I buy Intel 5 11400 , which motherboard can I buy? ASUS or Gigabyte?

So, this could become a whole other subject to itself.

One of the first things to consider would be in relation to both what you want to spend, and which one offers the features you want. Secondary to that concern is whether you think you will ever wish to upgrade the CPU to something more powerful.

For the sake of this conversation let's say you only want to run this with the i5, never upgrade to a K skew.

I would look at B and H chipsets. I would look for something with 4X RAM slots. Even if you aren't going to utilize all 4 slots now, this will leave room for more as the system ages. Consider whether your case is going to allow you to see this motherboard, and if so, which one looks best to you. Consider whether you will need WiFi and if you care if it's built into the board or have to add a card or dongle later. Same for Bluetooth. (don't forget the format of plug for your monitor)

Lastly, when you get down to a couple of motherboards that 'check the boxes' check reviews and just a general web search to see if there are any outstanding issues with said board. As a 'for instance', the Phantom Gaming boards are fairly inexpensive, some of them look nice, but are not considered a very good motherboard. Some of the "Pro 4" series are just mildly better but in consideration of only ever being used with a locked i5, should perform adequately and they look good to boot.

In a very general sense Micro ATX boards and cases are the least expensive. This is at the cost of additional PCI slots and in many cases other features like better sound and more connectivity.

apcm101114

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
So, this could become a whole other subject to itself.

One of the first things to consider would be in relation to both what you want to spend, and which one offers the features you want. Secondary to that concern is whether you think you will ever wish to upgrade the CPU to something more powerful.

For the sake of this conversation let's say you only want to run this with the i5, never upgrade to a K skew.

I would look at B and H chipsets. I would look for something with 4X RAM slots. Even if you aren't going to utilize all 4 slots now, this will leave room for more as the system ages. Consider whether your case is going to allow you to see this motherboard, and if so, which one looks best to you. Consider whether you will need WiFi and if you care if it's built into the board or have to add a card or dongle later. Same for Bluetooth.

Lastly, when you get down to a couple of motherboards that 'check the boxes' check reviews and just a general web search to see if there are any outstanding issues with said board. As a 'for instance', the Phantom Gaming boards are fairly inexpensive, some of them look nice, but are not considered a very good motherboard. Some of the "Pro 4" series are just mildly better but in consideration of only ever being used with a locked i5, should perform adequately and they look good to boot.

In a very general sense Micro ATX boards and cases are the least expensive. This is at the cost of additional PCI slots and in many cases other features like better sound and more connectivity.
Great , I learn so much on you bro
Thank you so much will follow your advise :) and do research hehe

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
One other thing to leave you with. Don't know if you are in the US, but if you happen to have a MicroCenter nearby, they are a great place to purchase a motherboard and CPU combo. Their CPU prices are generally well below anyone else AND they offer a $20 discount for a bundle on compatible motherboards. I have found the pricing on RAM and power supplies and such to be pretty run of the mill. They typically have very informed salespeople as well but do keep in mind it is in their interest to sell you something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS