[SOLVED] best rad placements for cpu+gpu rad?

Feb 4, 2021
Would like to know optimal cooling solution for Oc'd hybrid gpu and oc'd 5600x with h150i elite cappelix

there's a heck ton of guides on case fan placements for the Lian Li o11xl, but i just wanted to ask here for extra clarification as i couldn't find any with 2 radiators.

specs:
r5 5600x overclocked
4x8GB vengeance rgb pro cl16 3200 (overclocked to cl14 3200, aio fans are cooling it)
x570 tomahawk (has a chipset fan)
h150i elite cappelix pushpull exhaust
3080 evga ftw3 ultra hybrid Sapphire toxic limited 6900xt

I'm currently doing 3 bottom, 3 side intake (ql 120)
h150i elite cappelix push pull 6 fan top exhaust (3x ml120, 3x ql120)
1 rear exhaust (ql120)

My 3080 evga ftw3 hybrid is coming soon, which comes with 2 evga fans and a 260mm radiator. I got a Sapphire Toxic Limited 6900xt instead which comes with a 360 rad and 3 fans.
I plan to install it on the side as intake, with a pushpull config using the fans already on the side.

Once i install it, my aio will have hot air coming from the gpu rad and bottom intake. Is this the optimal solution? Or should i leave the case open and set both radiators to intake for air.

my 5600x is currently idling at 35 deg with overclocked max load temps sitting at 60, so adding a gpu intake rad would probably increase the temps higher as hot air is pushing in.

My current cooling config is all intake fans set to 1100rpm, exhaust aio fans are on custom cpu sensor curve, exhaust

Last edited:
Solution
Dual hybrid systems aren't common. You're on a road that isn't traveled often.
Better to test the different possible configs and tell everyone else what worked out best, yes?
The 2 hybrids had the unexpected(?) effect of giving you more possible options in which to set up your PC.

O11XL: the side and top are where the air resistance is weakest, and are the ones you capitalize on.
Gpu at the top and cpu at the side? Vice versa?

GPU rad - intake
CPU rad - exhaust

Turns out I didn't have to worry about temps at all. The toxic limited 6900xt has crazy cooling, with 29C idle temps and 50-65 deg load temps. The gpu radiator blasting hot air into the case had minimal effect on cpu and chipset temps thanks to the pushpull cpu aio...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
there's a heck ton of guides on case fan placements for the Lian Li o11xl, but i just wanted to ask here for extra clarification as i couldn't find any with 2 radiators.
Better to test the different possible configs and tell everyone else what worked out best, yes?
The 2 hybrids had the unexpected(?) effect of giving you more possible options in which to set up your PC.

O11XL: the side and top are where the air resistance is weakest, and are the ones you capitalize on.

Feb 4, 2021

Good call. Will do.
I reckon the gpu radiator will need more cooling, as my cpu is on pretty decent temps.
I'll test with the gpu rad as side intake when it comes and i'll post it here.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Feb 4, 2021

GPU rad - intake
CPU rad - exhaust

Turns out I didn't have to worry about temps at all. The toxic limited 6900xt has crazy cooling, with 29C idle temps and 50-65 deg load temps. The gpu radiator blasting hot air into the case had minimal effect on cpu and chipset temps thanks to the pushpull cpu aio exhaust and 1 rear fan.

since the gpu is so cool I might consider swapping rad placements and set cpu rad to side intake and gpu rad to top exhaust

final setup:
3 ql120 bottom intake fans - mobo fan curve tied to cpu (40% - 30C, 60% - 50C, 100% - 70C)
3 ql120 side intake pull fans (gpu radiator) - icue fan curve tied to gpu temps (40% - 30C, 60% - 50C, 100% - 70C)
3 120mm side intake push fans (gpu radiator, bundled sapphire fans) - automatically controlled by gpu, afaik no way to change it)

3 ql120 top exhaust push fans (h150i elite) - icue fan curve tied to cpu (10C offset due to AMD not releasing their monitoring sdk to third party software)
3 ml120 top exhaust pull fans (h150i elite rad) - icue fan curve (separate from ql120 fan curve)
1 ql120 rear exhaust - mobo fan curve tied to cpu (40% - 30C, 60% - 50C, 100% - 70C)

now I have to figure how to overclock the 6900xt as AMD power limited all cards to 330W. I'll probably make another thread for that as not many people own the toxic limited

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

joona.peltonen95

Reputable
Apr 30, 2018
I have Sapphire RX6900XT Toxic Extreme rad front (exhaust), and Silent loop 2 360mm top (exhaust). I wanted to put GPU top and CPU front but CPU rad cables were too short so I couldnt put it tubes down. Had to make compromise.